Hugh Grant Reveals Plans for a 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' Follow-Up
Beloved Brit flick Four Weddings and a Funeral is about to get a sequel, according to its star Hugh Grant. But don't get too excited. He described it as a "sequel-ette," in true Charles style (and while ruffling his hair, no doubt.)
"I think we're gonna do a Four Weddings sequel-ette for Comic Relief," the A Very English Scandal actor told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday (October 17). "That seems to be the plan."
It sounds as if it'll be something like the Love Actually charity update from last year, that went out as part of Red Nose Day, rather than a whole new movie. The next Red Nose Day is due to take place in March 2019 in the U.K., and in May in the U.S.
Just how many of the cast will return for the "sequel-ette" is unknown, not to mention if any weddings or funerals will feature. It also seems to be a different project from the Four Weddings TV series currently being developed by Mindy Kaling, which was ordered by Hulu in May this year.
As Hugh says, it's just a "plan" so far, but that hasn't stopped our imaginations running riot.
Will the Four Weddings follow-up would give us an update on floppy-haired Charles, 25 years since he finally got together with Carrie (Andie MacDowell)?
And then there's lovelorn friend Fiona (Kristen Scott Thomas), Matthew (John Hannah), who lost partner Gareth (Simon Callow) in the original film, Tom (James Fleet), exuberant newlyweds Bernard (David Haig) and Lydia (Sophie Thompson), and "Duckface" (Anna Chancellor), of course.
Hopefully someone will be getting married, causing the cast to don their best finery and party frocks one more time (though Scarlett, played by the late Charlotte Coleman, will be sorely missed). Perhaps Hugh will get to do his best "Father of the Bride" impression.
Would you be excited to see the Four Weddings cast back together?