'Doctor Who's Day Roundup: Referential Treatment
Welcome to this week's Doctor Who's Day roundup, a TARDISful of treats - news, fan creativity, alien technology - from the last week across the internet and social media.
And we begin this week with a deep dive into a particularly useful series of clips by YouTuber Stewart Seyfried. As a show with over 50 years of stories under its belt, Doctor Who does occasionally nod back to its own illustrious past, and Stewart has collected examples of these nods and their source references and put them together. Here's a good example:
And this, the history of the Doctor's involvement in London ice fairs:
Or this subtle nod to the Ninth Doctor's past:
Then there's the HADS:
And this, a regeneration staple:
And he's not the only Whovian who's been paying a LOT of attention. To everything:
Here's what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• UNIT are back, and so is the Master, and they're facing Cyber Reality:
• Fan art dives beneath the surface for #Mermay:
• This seems familiar:
• The story of how David Tennant found out Jodie Whittaker was the Doctor, with the added surprise of Gloria Estefan being a fan of the show:
• Speaking of the Tenth Doctor:
• This didn't happen really, did it?
• An urgent request in fan-art form:
• Sonic toaster, is it?
• It's never too late to discover a new favorite companion:
• The Third Doctor, ladies and gentlemen:
• Fan art for "The Claws of Axos"
• This fan-made film puts footage of a young John Hurt into the regeneration of the War Doctor, offering a tantalizing glimpse of what those early seconds of his incarnation may have been like:
• That Dalek is NOT going to like this:
• Hang on! This Doctor is... strange:
• "Brand new and ancient, and the bluest blue ever"
• Let's bow out this week with something astonishing and classy. The Sononauts take on the Doctor Who theme and make it swing!