British Icon of the Week: Sir Patrick Stewart, the Legendary Actor Who Charms Us Every Time
Who doesn't love Sir Patrick Stewart? Though he's achieved global fame in the Star Trek and X-Men franchises and been knighted by Queen Elizabeth II for services to drama, the Yorkshire-born actor remains self-deprecating and playful in interviews and on social media. Ahead of his appearance on The Graham Norton Show tonight, here's a reminder of 10 times he's thoroughly charmed us in the past.
1. When he carried the Olympic Torch through London ahead of the 2012 Olympic Games.
“Nevermind Jean-Luc Picard. I have attended world premieres of big movies that have not had the excitement and sense of pleasure that people are exhibiting today,” Stewart said after he'd carried the torch through south London.
2. When he shook the internet by posting that he'd just eaten his first pizza slice at the age of 72.
Sir Patrick later reassured fans that he hadn't been missing out on this delicious dish his whole life, telling the BBC: " Of course I've eaten pizza before. But I've never gone into a slice." He did reveal, however, that he didn't try pizza until his twenties because he'd grown up in a small town in Yorkshire where there was no pizza parlor.
3. When he told this hilarious story about being caught watching himself on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
To be fair, if Sir Patrick wants to watch himself on TV, who are any of us to judge?
4. When he dressed up as a giant lobster for Halloween.
5. When he was mistakenly outed as gay by a U.K. newspaper, and totally took it in stride.
Sir Patrick simply sent a witty tweet to the newspaper and laughed it off. "Quite frankly, I was utterly flattered by that assumption," he later told the Advocate. "And indeed the first contact I had was from Ian McKellen, who sent me an email saying, ‘Congratulations!’ And I accepted the congratulations and said, ‘I think this is a very distinctive honor that I’ve been awarded.’"
6. When he and Ricky Gervais revealed that it took them 45 takes to nail an Extras scene.
They told Graham Norton they couldn't stop giggling at the word "knickers," which is the British English term for "knickerbockers."
Oh, and here's the proof that they really did keep corpsing take after take.
7. Pretty much any time he hangs out with his best friend Sir Ian McKellen.
Sir Ian even officiated at Sir Patrick's wedding to jazz singer Sunny Ozell in 2013.
8. When we found out he and wife Sunny have a foster dog.
9. When he dressed in drag for the premiere of his Starz comedy series Blunt Talk.
Fans at the event apparently suggested that he looked a bit like Cate Blanchett and Dame Helen Mirren, but according to Variety, Sir Patrick was polite enough to rebuff these suggestions.
10. And finally, when he announced he and Sunny had tied the knot in the most "NBD" way possible.
Sunny joins Sir Patrick on The Graham Norton Show tonight at 11pm EST on BBC America.
What's your favorite Sir Patrick Stewart moment?