Paul McCartney says late wife Linda McCartney and soon-to-be-ex Heather Mills would have been friends. “I know they’d like each other because they have a lot of things in common, not on the surface so much. A spirit, a toughness of spirit. No person would ever put them down. Put them down at your risk.” (Guardian)
In spite of their acrimonious split, McCartney and Mills, with daughter Beatrice in tow, made nice for the cameras this weekend.(Daily Mail)
With his new album, Memory Almost Full, set for a June 5th release, we’re experiencing a McCartney media blitz at the moment. The hipsters at Pitchfork even took their tongues out of Win Butler‘s arse long enough to chat with the former Beatle. Shying away from gossipy stuff, they simply asked him if he was annoyed about the media speculation surrounding some of the lyrics on his new album. He responds: “I’ve seen one comment already, the song ‘Mr. Bellamy’ has been described as being about my divorce. And it’s not. That was the furthest thing from my mind. I suppose people are allowed to just read into it, but it’s a bit irritating when I know it’s not true. Probably just because they’re propagating the idea that it is. And unless I speak up, people may listen and believe the false idea.”
Rihanna took her “Umbrella” and knocked last week’s No. 1, McFly‘s “Baby’s Coming Back/Transylvania,” straight out of the top ten. This is a common pattern for McFly singles – they have a huge first week, often debuting at No. 1, and take a sharp dive in the second week. The ‘tweenyboppers are a fickle bunch, now aren’t they?
1. Rihanna – Umbrella
3. Beyoncé and Shakira – Beautiful Liar
In other news:
- George Michael defended his cannabis use on Saturday’s Parkinson show. “Nobody ever came home stoned and beat up their wife,” he said.(BBC)
- Beth Ditto joins the Lily vs. Cheryl fray: “F**k Girls Aloud. I’d rather be a fat chick with a d**k than an asshole. It’s hard to feel good when magazines say you’re ugly, so I know how Lily feels.”(Digital Spy)
- Ricky Wilson also defends Lily against “knobhead” Cheryl. He told the BBC (via Playlouder): “The thing is, when you start seeing yourself on TV and in the papers and you get snide comments like those from knobheads, you start doubting yourself. It’s really hard not to give a damn. I’ve done it myself when I’ve seen pictures of me. Lily doesn’t need lipo or surgery and she knows that, really. She is perfect as she is.”
- As usual, Gordon Ramsay sides with the carnivore. Speaking of Lily, he says, “She’s beautiful isn’t she? She has a great figure and obviously eats properly. There’s none of that vegetarian s*** with her…Girls Aloud really need to eat, Cheryl came onto the show and she is so skinny, it’s a f****** disgrace. I really want to feed those girls and make them forget all that vegetarian rubbish. They need to stop worrying about having to be disgustingly skinny and start looking like real women, like Lily Allen.” That’s Lils, 3, Chezza 0.
- James Blunt makes off with a boat-full of blondes. I’m sure having Kid Rock as his “wingman” didn’t hurt.(Daily Mail)
- Amy Winehouse is a married woman. You lied to us, Ames.(NME)
- The Observer observes Andrew Lloyd Webber in his natural habitat.
- Honeymoon’s over: Chantelle and Preston‘s marriage is “on the rocks,” say sources.(Sunday Mirror)
- Big Brother host Davina McCall vows to sort them out. Actually, I think BB has done quite a lovely job already, thanks.(Daily Mail)