Florence Pugh has recently added an Academy Award nomination to her BAFTA Film Award nomination for her heartwarming performance as Amy March in Little Women. It’s the latest milestone in an impressive rise that has taken the English actress from British indie film The Falling to upcoming superhero movie Black Widow, via a memorable role in AMC’s acclaimed miniseries The Little Drummer Girl. (You can watch the full limited series now via AMC Premiere.) As she sinks her teeth into Hollywood awards season, here are some things you might not know about the 24-year-old rising star.
1. Her father Clinton Pugh is a restaurateur who owns Café CoCo, Kazbar, and The Grand Café in Oxford, England.
There’s even a signed poster of Florence at the bottom of the stairs in Café CoCo, according to a TripAdvisor user.
2. Her brother Toby Sebastian is an actor and musician.
You might recognize him as Trystane Martell in Game of Thrones.
She also has two sisters, one of whom, Arabella Gibbins, is a stage actor.
3. Florence suffered with asthma and collapsed airways as a child, so the Pugh family moved to Spain for three years because they thought the warmer climate might help with her breathing.
“Even though we moved out there for other reasons, looking back on it, I’m so happy I had that childhood – in and out of the sea naked, cycling down the road in my knickers, and bartering with the sweet shop owner,” Pugh told The Guardian in 2018.
4. She later attended St. Edward’s in Oxford, a prestigious independent boarding school with some famous alumni.
Silent Witness actress Emilia Fox, Doctor Who guest star (and wife of David Tennant) Georgia Moffett, and the legendary Sir Laurence Olivier all studied there.
5. She landed her first acting role, opposite Maisie Williams in The Falling, while she was still at school.
“After [she] left the room I said, ‘Oh wow’,” the movie’s director Carol Morley recalled in 2015. “All the casting people were really quiet and I just said, ‘Do you not think she’s amazing?’ And they all went, ‘We’ve got goosebumps; that was like a young Kate Winslet walking into the room’.”
6. Florence is an accomplished singer and musician who can play both guitar and piano.
Before her acting career took off, Florence would post songs to YouTube, including this lovely cover of the Adele/Bob Dylan ballad “Make You Feel My Love.”
7. Her nickname is Flossie Rose (an abbreviation of her full name, Florence Rose Pugh), and she’s also posted music on YouTube as Flossie Rose.
Her version of Oasis‘s ’90s hit “Wonderwall” is pretty awesome, too. Surely it’s only a matter of time before she takes on a musical role?
8. If you’re going to make Florence a cup of tea, make sure it’s Yorkshire Tea, her favorite brand.
“Always have a travel size bag full of Yorkshire tea bags, because you never know when you’re going to need them,” she said in a recent interview with Uproxx.
9. Florence hails Dame Emma Thompson as a “massive mentor” to her.
They met while filming the BBC’s 2018 adaptation of 2018 of King Lear, and Pugh said “there wasn’t a day she didn’t educate me on something, or give me a book or podcast to listen to.”
10. She’s good friends with her Little Women co-star Timothée Chalamet… but once embarrassed herself in front of him.
“I accidentally called him Timothée Chalamala-bing-bong to his face,” Florence recalled in a 2018 interview. “He was like, ‘What?’ And I was like, ‘Nothing!’”
What are your favorite Florence Pugh performances?Read More