As the breakout star of Stranger Things, and one of the youngest Emmy nominees in history, it’s no great exaggeration to refer to Millie Bobby Brown as “M.B.B. the M.V.P.” With the hit Netflix show returning Thursday (July 4), here are some things you might not known about the 15-year-old Brit.
1. Her first lead role came in BBC America’s 2014 drama series Intruders
Brown plays Madison, a nine-year-old girl whose body is invaded by the soul of Marcus Fox, a deceased, older male serial killer. Fox tries to expel Madison’s soul from her own body, and though he doesn’t instantly succeed, she later suffers the consequences of his terrible actions in her body.
2. She’s English, but was actually born in Spain.
Brown was born in Marbella, Spain, where her family lived until they moved to the English coastal town of Bournemouth when she was four. The Brown clan then moved to Orlando, Fla. when she was eight, which is where Brown began taking performing-arts classes on weekends. A move to L.A. followed not long after.
3. She can flip between British and American accents pretty effortlessly.
And in the past she’s used this talent mischievously, as she recalls in this amusing behind-the-scenes video from the Intruders set. (Her impression of Mel B a.k.a. Scary Spice in this video is also spot-on!)
4. She’s deaf in one ear.
Brown was born with partial loss of hearing in one ear, Variety noted in a 2017 profile piece. Sadly, her limited hearing in that ear would gradually fade away completely.
5. Last year, she became the youngest person ever to be included on Time‘s list of the world’s most 100 influential people.
In an accompanying piece, Breaking Bad actor Aaron Paul wrote of Brown, who was 14 at the time: “She somehow understands the human experience as if she has lived it for a thousand years. I’m proud to know her. To call her a friend. To call her my adopted daughter.” (The “adopted daughter” thing is apparently a bit of an in-joke between the pair.)
6. She’s appeared in music videos by Drake (“In My Feelings”) and Maroon 5 (“Girls Like”).
And she also stars in this sun-flecked, retro-looking video by British alternative band the xx. Brown plays a girl who persuades her sister to skip school with her–a fitting narrative for a song titled “I Dare You.”
7. She’s a really big fan of boxing workouts.
“I do Thai boxing Mondays, jujitsu Tuesdays and Thursdays, and Wednesdays I do boxing with Mark–he was a world champion at one point,” she told Vulture. “I absolutely love it. I actually have a punching bag outside in my garden.”
8. The first album she ever bought was Amy Winehouse’s Back to Black, when she was six.
“I knew every single word to “Valerie.” My dad wouldn’t let me hear “Rehab”! There were definitely rules,” she told W last year. “Amy Winehouse was my go-to, but back then I sang “We Found Love,” by Rihanna, in the mornings. It got me going when I had to go to school.”
9. And one of her first acting jobs came in a commercial for a Disney spa resort.
Which is strangely appropriate, because Brown says she perfected her American accent by watching the Disney Channel.
10. She auditioned to star opposite Hugh Jackman and Sir Patrick Stewart in Jackman’s final Wolverine movie, Logan.
Although she didn’t get the part, which went to Dafne Keen, Brown has said she considers it to be her best ever audition. “Honestly, for me, I felt so — I felt an actor, in the audition room, hitting Hugh Jackman, and [director] James Mangold sitting right in front of me,” she told Variety in 2017.
What kind of role would you like to see Millie Bobby Brown play next?Read More