Welcome to the Doctor Who‘s Day Roundup, a weekly excursion through the Whoniverse to bring back as many Time Lord trinkets as we can lay our virtual fingers upon.
This week’s roundup, amid the usual stuff and nonsense, is all about one perfect moment in space and time: San Diego Comic-Con, and most specifically the announcment that Doctor Who will be back on our screens on September 19, and the launch of the Season 9 trailer.
Let’s watch it again to refresh our memories:
• Don’t worry if you feel that you’ve missed a few key bits, the Doctor Who site has the summary.
• And a collection of immediate fan reactions, with this moment having a particularly strong impact:
— Lea (@taperjeanlea) July 10, 2015
• Chris Hardwick of the Nerdist moderated the Doctor Who panel and snapped this selfie with the cast and Steven Moffat beforehand:
• Our recap of the Doctor Who panel from Thursday.
• BBC AMERICA’s official Doctor Who site has picked out some of the cheekiest and most surprising moments from the panel.
• At the panel, Chris Hardwick announced that Nerdist is working with BBC AMERICA on “The Doctor’s Finest,” in which they’ll “revisit eight of our favorite episodes, and wrap them with fun new segments, trivia, your fan-generated content, tons of Comic-Con footage, and it’s all hosted by the Internet’s own Hannah Hart.” “The Doctor’s Finest” premieres Saturday, August 15 on BBC AMERICA.
• Doing something nice: Michelle Gomez stopped by BBC AMERICA’s booth at Comic-Con, even assisting customers.
• And Peter Capaldi headed out to meet fans in the queue for wristbands too:
— TwiloveSue (@TwiloveSue) July 9, 2015
• What a great photo of Jenna Coleman, Peter, and Michelle on the TV Guide yacht:
— TV Guide Magazine (@TVGuideMagazine) July 10, 2015
• Doctor Who has entered the world of LEGO Dimensions, a video game that mashes up sci-fi and fantasy universes ranging from Lord of the Rings to Back to the Future to Batman. Heroes like Gandalf, Doc Brown, Scooby-Doo, and yes, the Doctor, Missy, and Clara take on LEGO form and interact with each other. (Capaldi, Gomez, and Coleman all lent their voices to their characters.) Some of the game’s astonishing features include the ability to play the game as any of the 13 Doctors and toggle between the show’s various TARDIS interiors.
Here’s the trailer for the game, which comes out in September:
The Doctor Who Fan Show covered LEGO Dimensions‘ unveiling at San Diego Comic-Con, where the stars and Steven Moffat tested the game out before an audience:
• Peter Capaldi talks about Season 9 guest star Maisie Williams with Access Hollywood.
• Speaking of whom, three fandoms collide in this one picture of Maisie, her Game of Thrones co-star Hannah Murray, Daniel Radcliffe and Jenna.
• Capaldi’s busy Comic-Con schedule included an appearance on Conan, which featured this entrance to end all entrances:
• Jenna Coleman participated in Entertainment Weekly’s “Women Who Kick Ass” Comic-Con panel alongside Hayley Atwell, Gal Gadot, Gwendoline Christie and Kathy Bates.
• At the Titan Comics panel, it was revealed there’s an Eighth Doctor comic book on the way in October:
• Your favorite Doctor Who sounds and catchprases (“Allons-y,” “Geronimo”) are at your fingertips with the Doctor Who soundboard. You can then download them as tones to your iPhone or iPad via iTunes.
• Think you’re up to speed with your (non-spoilery) Season 9 info already? Take this quiz and test yourself.
• Let’s end with something for the fans. One thousand of them turned out for the Doctor Who meet-up at San Diego’s House of Blues, and there was some truly scintillating cosplay on display. Check out some of what we witnessed on the ground at Comic-Con:
Oh and if you were there, don’t forget to tell the Doctor Who team how you got on:
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) July 13, 2015