It’s disappointing but hardly surprising: The Sun has “recent” video, shot on a cell phone, allegedly depicting the “sober” Pete Doherty injecting heroin. According to the paper, the footage was “taken at the Babyshambles star’s home in Wiltshire on Friday – hours after the MTV European Music Awards in Germany. In the footage, he is wearing the green wristband from the previous night’s ceremony – and is still in the same clothes he returned home in.” Clearly, the media had wanted to believe in Pete’s sobriety, reporting stories about how happy and healthy he looks these days. Even judges were snowed: Pete recently avoided a prison sentence after finishing a stint in rehab.
Yesterday, NME posted a snippet from Doherty “full, first clean interview,” which took place the day before the videotape was allegedly made. Pete told the magazine, “I think I miss it [drugs] a bit. After years of entrenched drug abuse, you have a mourning period. I know it’s a bit sad, but I’m in mourning. I’m in mourning for an armful.”
Perhaps the problem is the company Pete keeps: anyone who would film a friend doing drugs and give the video to the tabloids is scum.
In other news:
- Mt. St. Heathers continues to erupt, according to today’s papers. In a new interview, Heather Mills told Hello! magazine, “I’ve been this dormant volcano for 18 months and now I’ve had the explosion of my feelings.” She has also labeled Sir Paul McCartney a “skinflint” – Britspeak for “cheapskate” – and confirms reports that a gag order was a major sticking point in their divorce case. “I want the freedom to be able to tell my story should I need to defend myself,” she said. “I offered to Paul that if he protects me from the inevitable hatred I’ll receive because I am a wife of a Beatle, I’ll never say anything derogatory about him. He wants me to be gagged and they won’t give me a divorce until I’m gagged. So I’m waiting for the two-year separation.”
- Meanwhile, Paul is reportedly stepping out with a new lady – a married one. The Daily Mail insinuates a relationship between Paul and his American friend Nancy Shevell. “Sir Paul visited wealthy lawyer’s wife Nancy Shevell at Blake’s Hotel in Chelsea two nights running – just as he and Heather Mills were unsuccessfully trying to thrash out a divorce deal in court on 11 October.”
- Did daughter-in-law Stella McCartney design a “one-legged necklace” to mock Heather’s disability?(Mirror)
- If Heather thought Paul was mean, wait until she gets a load of Jordan. Heather has voiced her anger over Jordan and Peter Andre‘s mud-wrestling parody of the warring McCartneys, and Jordan fights back in OK magazine: “All I’ll say to Heather is, it seems like your life is in such a mess at the moment – you need to focus on that before you start slating other people, so leave me and Pete alone. It was just a joke.” (The Sun)
- Lily Allen replaces Kate Moss as “the face” of Agent Provocateur, signing a six-figure deal.(Mirror)
- Kerry Katona proudly declares that she still enjoys a pint and a fag, despite being four months pregnant.(BBC)
- Over 2 out of 5 people who downloaded Radiohead‘s album from their website actually paid for it.(Gigwise)