• http://americaletter.blogspot.com Mark Smith

    Is solialising socialism in disguise? Discuss :-)

  • Martha Turner

    A bathroom is just that, a room where you can take a bath. A restroom is a euphemism, like loo, and has toilets and lavatories (and urinals). We don’t say restroom at home or bathroom while in public places.

    • Amelia pond

      Well I say bathroom for public and home. Restroom, rarely to never and I think thats true for most folks.

  • dw

    This blog is rapidly going downhill. It used to actually contain useful information for expats. Now it’s descended to ignorant, ill-informed linguistic blather.

    Please stop this at once. I don’t care how many extra page views you’re getting. If you really care about this subject then go to Lynne Murphy’s excellent blog “Separated By A Common Language”.

  • Vikehi

    I have to say this one was a little confusing. I never knew which was which. For example I have never heard an American pronounce Internet with a d in it. Is this a Brit thing?

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002475128029 Joh Green

      personally i say internet lol :) i don’t know what all this other bs about innernet is about O.o

  • Jason

    This is the dumbest article ever. Nobody here (in the USA(OMG, I didn’t use periods!)) says elastic bands instead of rubber bands. And if you hear some body say “indernet” it’s probably because they have a speech impediment, not because they’re American.

    • Brandy

      “Elastic” is sometimes used here in the US to refer specifically to hair ties, not the regular office supply type rubber band.

      • Kaiti

        Also, WAY off on the beers. Sure, “domestic” can mean “fizzy yellow water”, but we also brew up some awesome craft beers.

        • http://www.facebook.com/mbergon Mish Mosh

          The Brits can’t say s**t about our beer. Theirs taste so bad they put lemon juice in it.

    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1017442067 Brent Rossow

      Yep. That elastic band claim is a load of old pony, which is something I know for a fact will be understood by the writer. They’re rubber bands.

    • http://www.facebook.com/aliceuchidaspaulding Alice Spaulding

      Actually, here in Chicago, we had a new manager who just arrived from Massachusetts ask us where he could get some “elastics”. We all gave him a hard time about that one! Logically, some areas of the country have closer ties to England than others.

  • http://twitter.com/CrunchDude Crunch

    Relax, guys. James is new in town. And he doesn’t mean that we say (or spell) “indernet” as opposed to internet, but instead that we don’t pronounce some t’s and roll our r’s. One additional common spelling difference is “-ter” when you Brits spell it “-tre”, but you guys pronounce it like “-ter”, where as we (see above) don’t pronounce the “t”, so no, we don’t say/spell “center” like “cender” (my U.S. error-checking just tried to change it to “tender”, by the way. Which brings me to yet another difference: We are the U.S., not the USA. If you feel you need to have all three letters, you may abbreviate it this way: The U.S. of A. (yes, with plenty of periods, and not trousers. ;-) )

    As far as this article is concerned, I had fun reading it and would recommend it to anyone. At the very least, it’s entertaining, if not informative. This is my first visit to BBC America, by the way.

    James, before I forget, welcome to L.A., dude!

  • Posie

    Indernet, no, innernet, maybe. Elastic bands are for hair and usually wrapped with some kind of thread to keep from damaging the individual hairs. Rubber bands, are the same, and in some places they are gum bands. Anyone here every heard the contraction “daresen’t”? How that ‘s’ ended up in the middle of “dare not” is beyond me, but it’s unique to communities with a high Amish influence. So is the phrase “Red up (something)”, as in, “Red up (Clean) your room.” That’s the fun thing about American English, drive a few hundred miles, and you’ll hear a completely different version of it.

  • Caitlyn

    Yes – I agree with the comments below. LOL – so far none of you have spelled it out yet: While we Yanks do slide our Ts into Ds, we say “Innernet”, not Indernet”. We also don’t say “elastic”. That’s what holds up your drawers (undies). Used in the hair, they’re referred to as “hair ties”, not “elastic bands”.

  • Caitlyn

    PS – Also, we don’t say or write “USA”. No. We use “the US”. :)

  • Terry

    I am such a fan of Brits. My husband & I will be going to England – London this Nov. I cannot wait. I love the way they all speakk. A little hard to understand sometimes. I am sure they say the same about us.

  • Katie

    The thing that I’m sure makes coming to the U.S. even more difficult is that while everything mentioned may be true, it may only be true in that area. I’ve never used an “elastic band” or “flashers,” but I’m sure that’s what they are called in areas. A perfect example of this is that carbonated beverage that is know as “pop,” or “soda,” or “soda-pop,” or (if you’re in the south) “coke.”