1864′s New York Bar and Restaurant Tour
Pete's opened its doors in 1864, and gained notoriety after O. Henry penned "Gift of the Magi" in one of the tavern's booths. Even after 148 years, Pete's still has the speakeasy vibe it boasted during prohibition.
McSorley's Old Ale House
This rough and tumble East Village ale house has two mottos: "Be good or be gone" and "We were here before you were born." McSorley's maintained a men only policy for nearly 120 years, until they were legally required to serve women in 1970. Stop in and imagine drinking a cold one with some of the bar's notable patrons, including Abraham Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, Peter Cooper, and Boss Tweed.
Fraunces Tavern was a key site in the American Revolution, and has soldiered on through fires and bombings. Commemorated by the National Register of Historic Places and preserved by the Sons of Liberty, Fraunces Tavern restaurant and museum conveys parts of history long forgotten by the city skyscrapers.
Originally a traditional inn, the Ear Inn started serving booze in the 1890s. The old eclectic vibe draws many regulars to its Spring Street location. The bar got its unique name when new owners purchased and reopened the space in 1977. Because of historical landmark restrictions, the signage couldn't be changed. The new owners found a loophole, painting over the 'B' of the word "Bar" in the signage to make an 'E,' and the Ear Inn was born.
One of the most popular steakhouses in New York City, Delmonico’s opened its doors in 1837 and has been serving food and drink to Lower Manhattanites and tourists alike ever since.
It may not have been called the Bridge Café in the days of 'Copper'– the Brooklyn Bridge was built in 1883 – but this Lower East Side spot (and at one point, brothel) was home to many a dock worker and drinker back in the day and remains so over 200 years later.
Beautiful DreamerView Gallery
The Fine Ould Irish GintlemanView Gallery
Think Gently of the ErringView Gallery
Ashes Denote That Fire WasView Gallery