You may hear these names read when the Academy Awards are handed out on February 22. (They’re all also nominated …Read Now
Tongue, Liver and Crispy Heart Soft Tacos with Nopales Salsa and Sweet Corn Fritter
- Serves 4
- 400g of prepped bison or beef heart (diced)
- 400g bison liver (two thick escalopes)
- 400g of bison tongue (prepped and cut into very thin strips)
For Spice Mix for offal:
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp of chipotle sauce
- 1tsp oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 nopales leaves, cleaned of all spikes
- 1 tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalepeno chili
- juice of 2 limes
- small handful of fresh coriander
- salt and pepper
For Sweetcorn Fritters
- 300g fresh sweetcorn cut from 2 ears of corn
- small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 red chili, diced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 egg
- 100g flour
- 100ml beer
- sea salt and pepper
- Firstly dice the heart and add into a pan with a teaspoon of the spice mix and some stock, braise for 20 minutes (longer if at home, but we only had a short time!) until tender.
- Take a frying pan season and pan fry the heart slices until golden brown, you want them quite crispy. Heart normally takes a lot of cooking.
- Take the liver and add a spoonful of spice mix and oil, stir and leave the liver slices in there to marinate for 25 minutes.
- To make the salsa cut the nopales into strips and blanch in boiling water for 5 minutes then refresh. Dice into 1cm dice, then dice the tomato and red onion and mix together.
- Finely chop the chili and the coriander leaves then mix in with the lime juice and the seasoning.
- To make the sweetcorn fritters cut the sweetcorn off the ears and into a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the eggs, four, chili, herbs and beer together, then add the sweetcorn and mix again.
- Heat up a frying pan and add a tablespoon of oil, then spoon a dessert spoon amount in to the pan to make mini pancakes. Fry for about 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- Then heat up a separate frying pan and pay fry the liver for few minutes on each side, depending on how thick the slices are. You want to keep it pick inside. Then cut it into strips.
- Finally warm up some soft flour tortillas and add two per plate, fill each tortilla with some liver strips, heart chunks and finely shred the tongue to go on top.
- Then spoon some salsa on the side and add a couple of sweetcorn fritters. Serve with lime wedges and extra chili’s.