We already enjoy the antics of established bromances between Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart as well as James McAvoy and Michael …Read Now
Mark’s Crab Cake Bake
Made by Mark of Team U.K.
“ Crab cake, baked cauliflower mornay, asparagus dressed in roasted crab oil and Parmesan dressing”
- 8 Baltimore soft shell crabs, alive and well
- 10 green asparagus spears
- 3 eggs
- 50ml mayonnaise
- 150g small cauliflower florets
- 6 small gherkins, (cornichons)
- 2tsp of capers
- Soft herbs, see below
- Piece of Parmesan, 100g should do
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 75ml double cream
- Handful of Panko or toasted breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon
- Cook the crabs for 8 minutes in rapidly boiling, salted water, then refresh in iced water, pick and separate the white and brown meats, ensuring there is no shell and then set aside the whitemeat for the crab cakes. Eggs boiled, 6minutes, then refreshed, peeled, whites for the sauce gribiche, yolks used to bind the crab cake. Asparagus blanched, 2 minutes and refreshed then set aside. Cauliflower cut down to small florets, blanched and refreshed, then placed inside the crab carapace and double cream and seasoning added, topped with Panko and Parmesan. Baked in the oven at 180c until golden, about 8 minutes. Crab shells, pan roasted and then removed from the heat, oil added to take on the flavour from the shells, allowed to stand for 10 minutes, finished with salt and pepper, then a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Make the crab cakes by adding the chopped egg yolks to the white crab meat with a little of the chopped herbs, salt and pepper, lightly mold the cakes, they should be quite soft, frying them will create a nice crust that will hold them together. Cook for 3-4 minutes in a hot pan, only turning once golden brown.
- For the Gribiche, mix mayonnaise with fresh, soft herbs, tarragon, parsley, chervil etc, add finely chopped gherkins and capers, the chopped egg white, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Toss the asparagus in the shellfish oil and finely grated Parmesan, place on the plate and top with the crab cake and baked crab shell mornay, spoon a little Gribiche on the side.