Welcome to this week’s Doctor Who’s day roundup, a careful sifting through a week’s worth of news, fan creativity and online excitement to find the giddiest nuggets of astonishment, ready for buffing up and presenting in this easy-to-read bulletin of brilliance.
And we begin this week with one of those wonderful little pockets of fun in which fans coalesce around a tiny idea, applying all their passion and talent just for the sheer fun of it.
It started with this tweet, calling for fan artists to help illustrate one moment from the short story “Clara and the Maze of Cui Palta” by Susan Calman:
🌷April Art Challenge🌷
To celebrate the release of @PuffinBooks’s #DoctorWho: The Day She Saved the Doctor, create an #illustration for this excerpt from “Clara and the Maze of Cui Palta” by @SusanCalman.
Please use #PopcornClara so I can find your work.
Cover by Kelly Wagner. pic.twitter.com/cbgA3gkOQp
— Doctor Who Comic Art (@DWComicArt) April 2, 2018
Naturally, the replies were not slow in coming, gathered under the hashtag #PopcornClara:
— โมกัด🦝✂Mogamoka (@Mogamoka2) April 5, 2018
— TimeLassCreations (@TheTimeLass) April 3, 2018
— Paul Guest (@MaxKowarth) April 2, 2018
Here's my contribution for #PopcornClara. In trying to help poor Clara out 11's mistaken humans for monkeys; at least he's not eating lice. @DWComicArt @SusanCalman #DoctorWho #fanart pic.twitter.com/DWw8U1EW2P
— Emma Jones (@milkwithginseng) April 4, 2018
With this particular doodle being particularly noteworthy. Notice how the Eleventh Doctor’s chin seems to follow you around the room:
Something something popcorn…
— Art By Steve (@_Art_By_Steve_) April 6, 2018
Here’s what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• The Doctor’s reveal has been nominated for a BAFTA! You can vote here:
ICYMI: The Thirteenth Doctor reveal has been nominated for this years Must-See Moment at the #BAFTATV Awards! The public decide who wins & you can vote here » https://t.co/7g9f2hkbYj #DoctorWho pic.twitter.com/yddSRXU7LB
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) April 6, 2018
• A secret Doctor Who museum for your next London visit:
Step through this Tardis in east London, to enter a secret Doctor Who museum pic.twitter.com/67UMDytULa
— Londonist (@Londonist) April 7, 2018
• “Books! The best weapons in the world!”
• This one isn’t real, however:
Here's my second attempt at creating a new #DoctorWho Target novel, in the style of @AnthonyDry, this time of @OldRoberts953's 'The Lodger'. Really like how this one turned out, took me a bit longer than the first one, but I think it shows. #Illustration #FanArt #Photoshop pic.twitter.com/3mogyTQpNh
— SRB Digital Art (@SRBDigitalArt) April 8, 2018
• This is a very well made point:
[This tweet is for non Doctor Who fans.]
These two people are the exact same character. It's just the second one is older.
[If that doesn't encourage you to want to watch this show, then what will.] pic.twitter.com/w0yxCyUCte
— J Denchen (@DenchenThe) April 9, 2018
• Feeling peckish?
• The Doctors on a roadtrip:
— Staypee (@drstaypee) April 8, 2018
• What’s it like working on a Big Finish audio production? Jake Dudman explains:
• The TARDIS has arrived:
— Doctor Who Page (@DWPageOFFICIAL) April 9, 2018
• Speaking of which, this footage is genuinely upsetting for Whovians to watch:
Doctor Who fans when the DVD spines don't match. pic.twitter.com/gdmGR15Y7m
— Gavin (@gavinworby) April 5, 2018
• On a more soothing note, a bewitching trailer for Season 10:
• Pocket Doctor:
• Here’s a labor of love, a graphic depicting every TV story to date:
Okay followers and pals. This is the thing that I have been working on for you lot for quite a while. Trying to find the best images.
This graphic represents the entire main run of televised Doctor Who.
Please reuse and enjoy. Ty. ❤️ pic.twitter.com/1wo0QxFFTU
— J Denchen (@DenchenThe) April 7, 2018
• This seems almost scientifically accurate:
— David-Tennant.com (@davidtennantcom) April 9, 2018
• The Doctor’s first trip to Trenzalore dissected:
— anglophenia (@anglophenia) April 9, 2018
• This is superb, classical variations on the Doctor Who theme:
• A few tingles of nostalgic familiarity for British Whovians of a certain age; here’s an ident in the style of the BBC’s first Doctor Who re-releases, on VHS:
— Robert Ritchie (@Robritchie409) April 9, 2018
• Hard to argue this point:
Donna was, and still is, the best companion of modern Who. pic.twitter.com/cVaRRZygua
— Iceman (@LiamJordan15) April 5, 2018
• Thirteen is still a rock star:
— Hayden "Whovi" Vortex (@WhoviVortex) April 5, 2018
• Speaking of rock stars, how about this exceptionally rowdy trailer, set to a Queen classic?
• The Ponds in full flight:
• And finally this week, let’s go right back to the start, an in-depth interview with Waris Hussein, Doctor Who‘s very first director, talking at the British Film Institute