Welcome to this week’s Doctor Who’s Day roundup, a cosmic filtration system to find hidden Whovian gems from a week’s worth of social media and internet hubbub.
And we begin this week with news from Wizard World Chicago, where Catherine Tate, Alex Kingston and Jenna Coleman appeared at a joint Q&A panel discussing what it’s like being a companion of the Doctor’s. Revelations came thick and fast, including the fact that the Doctor Who cast had their own team in a Swansea pub quiz:
The companions panel. Alex Kingston (River), Catherine Tate (Donna), Jenna Coleman (Clara), on their fave episode with the Doctor. pic.twitter.com/tIfM9HSdUi
— QueenInTheNorthSide (@TravelByBubble) August 27, 2017
And that Jenna has stolen a piece of the TARDIS:
— Rachell Montgomery (@theultimatetv) August 28, 2017
But probably best of all is Catherine’s story of what it is like to have to run away from an alien menace convincingly when your co-star (David Tennant) is fitter than you are:
Something she also mentioned in The Graham Norton Show, recently:
Here’s what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• Russell T Davies has been honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award:
Big congrats to Russell T Davies for receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award at the Edinburgh International TV Festival!
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) August 25, 2017
• And while we’re in Edinburgh, the Seventh Doctor celebrates 70 years of the festival:
• The Doctor’s regeneration dilemma:
— Pencil Ban-DEAD 💀 (@pencilbandit) August 25, 2017
• A gorgeous Whovian wedding:
• The Wedding (invitation) of River Song:
• You can take the boy out of Doctor Who…
— Arthur Darvill (@RattyBurvil) August 25, 2017
• Actually you can take quite a lot of people out of Doctor Who, it seems:
— Radio Times (@RadioTimes) August 27, 2017
• Fancy coming back to New Earth?
— Big Finish (@bigfinish) August 24, 2017
• Or riding with the Fifth Doctor and his friends?
— Big Finish (@bigfinish) August 25, 2017
• Beautiful “Oxygen” fan art:
— Hayd'n (@WhoviVortex) August 23, 2017
• Even when he’s hot, the Tenth Doctor is cool:
• The Doctor takes his place in history:
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) August 24, 2017
• Missing Missy?
• National Bow Tie Day, eh? Cool:
— Doctor Who BBCA (@DoctorWho_BBCA) August 28, 2017
• The First Doctor has banged his head:
— I'm Soph! (@stuffsophdoes) August 26, 2017
• This is a cartoon you’d watch the heck out of, right?
— Christina Green (@StinaSketchbook) August 22, 2017
• They’ve got the skills to draw the Bills:
— Emily Beaumont (@EmmyLaBeau) August 24, 2017
• No no no no no no no no no:
— Hayd'n (@WhoviVortex) August 29, 2017
• The missing link between Harry Potter and Mantovani:
— anglophenia (@anglophenia) August 28, 2017
• And as a grand finale, here’s a look at the sterling work done by fans in imagining what the title sequence for Season 11 might look like. Clearly some factors will probably have to remain — the theme tune, the TARDIS biffing around on screen — but as we have a new Doctor on the way, it’s a chance to rip up the rule book and start afresh, like in this exceptional version made by Waveform Digital, in which the Doctor’s new companion is an old friend of the show, and the title of her first adventure echoes “The Eleventh Hour:”
• While Shaggy Rogers has combined elements of both the recent title sequences — time vortex and clockface — and suggested that comic actor Tom Rosenthal might be a good new companion:
• And Robert Mike Slave has a totally left-field suggestion for a new companion, and has fused all the Doctors together in one long regeneration: