Uh-oh. Do we feel a fan battle coming on? Viewers from around the world have been asked which BBC character they love the most, and each of the top three is one of our favorites.
Top of the poll is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle‘s famous sleuth, as portrayed by Benedict Cumberbatch in Sherlock, which of course had us nodding our heads in agreement.
Benedict himself told the BBC he was “honored” his portrayal of Sherlock Holmes had come out on top, saying: “Who would have thought a high-functioning sociopath could be so popular… all over the world?”
But then comes the tricky bit. Following swiftly on after Sherlock is our beloved time-travelling Doctor in all his various incarnations, and then another brooding detective — this time John Luther, played by Idris Elba.
How to choose?
Whovians shouldn’t be too disappointed their favorite came second, of course. With his slightly dishevelled look, idiosyncratic approach, and distinctive long coat and scarf, Sherlock has more than a little to thank a certain quirky Timelord for.
Not only that, but Doctor Who makes a second appearance in the list, with almost 6% of voters putting The Daleks in tenth place.
With that in mind, and an “everyone deserves a medal” attitude to match, here’s what the top ten looks like:
1.Sherlock, as played by Benedict Cumberbatch (29.7%)
2. The Doctor (17.6%)
3. John Luther, played in Luther by Idris Elba (12.4%)
4. Basil Fawlty, played by John Cleese in classic sitcom Fawlty Towers (11.8%)
5. The Stig, Top Gear‘s mystery racing driver (8.2%)
6. Patsy Stone, Eddie’s invincible beehive-sporting BFF in Ab Fab, made immortal by Joanna Lumley (8.1%)
7. Edmund Blackadder, represented in multiple incarnations by Rowan Atkinson (7.4%)
8. Hyacinth Bucket (Patricia Routledge) of Keeping Up Appearances fame
9. The Vicar of Dibley, as played by Dawn French (5.8%)
10. The Daleks (5.6%).
The BBC Worldwide Showcase Poll surveyed more than 7,000 people in Australia, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico and the United States.
They were also asked to vote for their favorite ever scene from a BBC program, and once again Sherlock won by a wide margin. Classic shows such as Monty Python, The Office, and 1979’s Life on Earth also got some love, however, and then of course there’s THAT scene from Pride and Prejudice:
Here’s the complete list:
1.Sherlock falling to his “death” in “The Reichenbach Fall” (26%)
2. Monty Python‘s “Dead Parrot” sketch (14.1%)
3. The Doctor’s regeneration in Doctor Who (13.1%)
4. The ballroom scene with Prince Andrei and Natasha in War and Peace (12.6%)
5. Mr Darcy emerging from the lake in Pride and Prejudice (12.5%)
6. Basil Fawlty attacking his car in Fawlty Towers (11.5%)
7. Sir David Attenborough and the gorillas in Life on Earth (10.2%)
8. David Brent dancing in The Office (9.5%)
9. When the murderer comes out from under the bed in Luther (6.5%)
10. “Don’t tell him, Pike!” from Dad’s Army (6.5%)
Alongside the classics are iconic moments from modern shows such as Sherlock, Luther, and War and Peace, though whether they’ll stand the test of time like Monty Python and Doctor Who remains to be seen.
Which character gets your vote?Read More