Welcome to this week’s Doctor Who’s Day roundup, a finely-sifted collection of the best the internet has to offer on the subject of a certain Time Lord and his various escapades.
And this week, we begin with fan reactions to the Season 10 teaser trailer, which was released over the weekend.
Here’s the trailer:
And Bill’s startled eyes:
There’s a lot of visual information to unpick in quite a short time, including the books on the shelf — the ones that don’t get blown up — with visible titles Oxygen, Knock, Thin Ice, Smile and The Pilot. Clues? Possible story titles?
And then there’s Bill’s comment on the Doctor: “The first time you meet him, he’s funny. The second time, he’s amazing. The third time, you realize he’s the most dangerous man in the universe.”
Does this mean she gets to know him over a series of meetings? Does he charm her first, disappear, then come back and show her the TARDIS, then disappear again before dramatically threatening her life, or the wellbeing of the entire universe?
And what about this cosmic array of ghastly monsters?
So there’s a Cyberman (top left), Ice Warrior (bottom right) and Dalek (top right), and an emoji robot too (under the Cyberman).
And this fellow:
Those eyes seem familiar. Might it be something to do with the new twist on the Ice Warriors that Mark Gatiss suggested is on the way?
Naturally, fans have seized upon this latest nugget of information and got creative. There’s even an alternative tribute trailer, with music from David Bowie:
It’s been comprehensively GIF-ed:
And naturally, there’s some new and wonderful fan artwork:
Here’s what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• It’s pancake day! Or, to give it its proper name, Shrove Tuesday.
• And look who’s sizzling in the pan:
— BBC iPlayer (@BBCiPlayer) February 28, 2017
• Very moreish, aren’t they?
• The last great adventure of John Hurt as the War Doctor:
• Phil Collinson, Russell T Davies and Waris Hussein, reunited!
Well, that's just Doctor Who royalty right there. pic.twitter.com/l0K0VJEHaa
— David Llewellyn (@TheDaiLlew) February 25, 2017
• The canine K-9:
— Doctor Who Today (@DoctorWho_Today) February 25, 2017
• Never be sure:
• A statuesque Tenth Doctor:
• Want to see the classic “The Rings of Akhaten” speech said by all 13 Doctors?
• Christel Dee is still finding it hard to accept Peter Capaldi’s resignation:
• Speaking of whom, want to see a Christel sculpture?
• That’s tattoo scary:
• Whovians have been paying tribute to Neil Fingleton, who playe Mag the Mighty in Game of Thrones and was Ultron’s on set body model for Avengers: Age of Ultron. To us, he’ll always be the Fisher King in “Before the Flood”:
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) February 27, 2017
• An excellent compilation of clips showing how the Doctor bedazzles his companions:
• Yes, it’s a fake. But it’s kind of mesmerizing mash-up nonetheless:
— Ana Maria Oliva (@Olivana627) February 28, 2017
• And finally, how about this for a grande finale. A fan-written moment of total closure for both the Doctor and Donna Noble:
— Doctor Who Today (@DoctorWho_Today) February 21, 2017