Welcome to the Doctor Who‘s Day roundup, a Gallifreyan gatheration of social media stuff and nonsense from a week on the internet.
And we begin this week with something utterly marvelous. A short while ago, YouTuber Jeremy Lee decided that he wanted to build a vortex manipulator, the miniature time machine like the one seen on the wrists of Captain Jack Harkness, River Song and Clara Oswald. And while the actual temporal travel is beyond anyone’s capabilities right now, he created a fully working home-made Whovian smartwatch, using a Raspberry Pi and quite a bit of digging in a toy version of Captain Jack’s former mode of transportation.
The result is amazing, and look, it even plays Minecraft!
Here’s what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• Matt Lucas arrived on the Doctor Who set:
• The Doctor’s American adventures, summarized:
• There’s a little bit of Dalek in all of us:
— Ororo Productions (@OroroPro) July 5, 2016
• Doctor Who: The Fan Show talks stop-motion animation with Doctor Puppet:
• Digital Spy ran a poll to see which is the favorite sci-fi TV show of their readership. Guess who won? Or should I say, guess Who won.
• Now we need to see Anteater Capaldi:
— Video Games (@VideoGames_Up) July 5, 2016
• Facts! We’ve got facts!
• Hats off to Steven Moffat, who received an honorary Doctorate from University of the West of Scotland in his home town of Paisley, Scotland. And naturally, if there’s a new Doctor, there’ll be a Dalek around somewhere:
— WhoNews (@Who_News) July 6, 2016
• Meanwhile David Tennant has also become a doctor (of drama), having been awarded an honorary degree from the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland:
— Royal Conservatoire (@RCStweets) July 5, 2016
• Karen Gillan posted this clip from her Doctor Who years, in which Arthur Darvill (and possibly Matt Smith) serenade her with a faintly creepy improvised song:
• Love “Love & Monsters”? Step this way:
— anglophenia (@anglophenia) June 30, 2016
• Doctor Who: The Fan Show went to VidCon to lark about on the games machines…:
• …and received this animation in response:
— Doctor Who Fan Show (@DWTheFanShow) July 4, 2016
• Who indeed?
— Orlando Pedroza (@Orlando_Pez) July 5, 2016
• The Fourth Doctor materializes in Doctor Who Magazine:
• How Doctor Who fandom affects the mind:
— RageBear (@TheRealRageBear) July 5, 2016
• Dotter Who, anyone?:
• Here’s a thought that should reassure anyone who feels they have to rewatch entire seasons in order:
I think that watching the Doctor Who episodes in no particular order is acceptable because: Time traveller. You could just go back and forth
— amethyst (@qarinagetiriss) July 5, 2016
• And finally, let’s leave you with a video clip of a man drumming along to the Doctor Who theme while headbanging, hard: