The fifth installment in the saga of Indiana Jones is due to hit theaters in 2019, and its director Steven Spielberg has so far put our minds at ease on a few questions. Will Harrison Ford reprise the role? Yes. (Phew.) Will the script be any good? A-lister screenwriter David Koepp, responsible for Jurassic Park and Mission Impossible, is working on it. (Double phew.) And will original composer John Williams be in charge of the score? Yes. (Make that a triple.)
But that hasn’t stopped the rumors of Indy’s demise from swirling —and it’s not just paranoia that’s got people’s minds whirring. This will be Indy’s final movie, Ford will be 77 years old by the time it opens, and, well, let’s just say there’s The Force Awakens, and the fate of his other role in a hugely successful franchise, to think about.
In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter yesterday (June 15) however, the seasoned director said he was “super excited” about the new project. And though he kept schtum on giving any more information, he did reveal one major detail: “The one thing I will tell you is I’m not killing off Harrison [Ford] at the end of it.”
We hope someone checked he wasn’t crossing his fingers.
The as-yet-untitled film will be set in 1968, some 11 years after the most recent movie in the series, 2008’s Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Harrison Ford told the BBC earlier this year: “I’ve always thought there was an opportunity to do another. But I didn’t want to do it without Steven [Spielberg]. And I didn’t want to do it without a really good script. And happily we’re working on both.”
And Shia LaBeouf? Will he be returning to the franchise as Indy’s long-lost son Mutt? Perhaps we should quit asking questions while we’re ahead…Read More