Welcome to the Doctor Who‘s Day roundup, a cornucopia of chronological collections and a sweeping up of dusty old bits and bobs from the corners of the TARDIS that haven’t been cleaned in the last week.
And we begin with something that is both odd and rather brilliant. Eva Lahalle owns an African grey parrot, which has been trained to communicate by whistling a very familiar tune:
That’s right, she speaks parrot. Or the parrot speaks Whovian. In any case, if you can get your dog to bark the speech from “The Rings of Akhaten,” we’ve got ourselves a Gallifreyan petting zoo.
Here’s what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• Peter Capaldi has been teasing ahead to the opening story in Season Nine. In a (spoiler-free) interview with Entertainment Weekly he said that the story “places the Doctor in a conflict that is central to his being, as well as containing some subtle tributes to the ’60s, and truly wonderful guest performances.”
• The Doctor has landed somewhere picturesque:
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) July 3, 2015
• Think you know your Doctor Who monsters? Take this monster quiz and make sure.
• Rigsy’s back! And from this picture it looks like the Boneless have teamed up with the Weeping Angels (or it’s just a picture):
• A little insider info about the end of Season Nine (spoiler-free). And a chat with Rachel Talalay, who is once again directing the finale:
• Doctor Who: The Fan Show has gone fan-spotting:
• Happy Birthday Jon Pertwee! This picture is AMAZING:
• Impatient NeonVisual have made their own teaser for Season Nine:
• The history of Doctor Who in America, from Angels in Manhattan to a Doctor in the White House.
• This must mean something:
• And is this a reference to Douglas Adams and The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy?
• Billie Piper and Hayley Atwell (Agent Carter) have been having fun lip-synching to old pop hits:
Billie! She got skillz pic.twitter.com/BIwaXGc1na
— Hayley Atwell (@HayleyAtwell) July 5, 2015
• And finally, here’s a piece of fan-art that puts a rather elvish spin on the Tenth Doctor’s distinctive features. Doesn’t he look precious?