At the end of Saturday’s Doctor Who (October 25), just as we were all heaving a deep sigh of relief that the Earth had escaped being fried by a huge solar flare, a deeply unsettling “Next Time” trailer arrived. It’s for the grand finale of Season Eight, beginning with “Dark Water” this Saturday (November 1) and ending with “Death in Heaven” (November 8). And it shows a side of Clara that we’ve not seen before:
Yes, that IS worrying, isn’t it? And even without Scary Clara, this next outing for the Doctor promises not just reanimated corpses, but the return of those terrifying tin soldiers the Cybermen, as the official “Deep Water” trailer proves:
So, yes, we’ll finally get to find out who this Missy is, the women who keeps meeting the Doctor’s fallen foes and friends after they die, and apparently she is someone the Doctor knows already. But somehow UNIT are involved and Kate Stewart and Osgood and her inhaler? And Scary Clara claiming not to be Clara Oswald? What’s going on?
Here’s the official synopsis:
“In the mysterious world of the Nethersphere, plans have been drawn up. Missy is about to come face to face with the Doctor, and an impossible choice is looming.
“Death is not an end” promises the sinister organization known only as 3W – but, as the Doctor and Clara discover, you might wish it was.”
And a gallery of intriguing pictures, like this opportunity for a Cyberselfie:
And here is a very good fan-made trailer along similar lines, bringing together some of the more recent story threads with some far older ones:
Don’t forget your dark water wings.
Here’s what else is going on in space and time this week:
• While you’re at it, Radio Times has a quiz as well.
• Here’s Jenna Coleman’s take on how Clara sees Danny during the story:
• And another glorious Radio Times poster by Stuart Manning:
• It seems Twitter users had a lot of fun with the moment when the Doctor dubbed himself “Doctor Idiot”:
— Doctor Who on BBCA (@DoctorWho_BBCA) October 26, 2014
• And others came up with theories on just who Missy might be:
— Justin Hasson (@justinthecookie) October 26, 2014
• Samuel Anderson took us behind the scenes with his Instagram post:
A photo posted by Samuel (@theblackpaddy) on
• He also spoke up about reactions to Danny Pink, saying “I can be quite critical of myself. I’ve got really good reactions from the fans which is nice. They seem to be smiling which is more important than how I feel.”
• And talked about partying with Matt Smith: “He was actually in The History Boys after I was, and he’s good friends with James Corden. I saw him at James’s wedding. Oh that was a party. A few of us made it to the end. It really was a celebrity bash. My first one like that.”
• He also told us what to expect from that two-part series finale: “It’s epic. I keep talking with Rachel [Talalay], our director, about taking home the BAFTA for that one. There are great performances by everyone.”
• Happy 32nd birthday today (October 28) to Matt Smith. We celebrate the occasion with 11 GIFs.
• The Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff reopened to show off its makeover, complete with an interactive tour led by Peter Capaldi’s Twelfth Doctor (in spirit). Joseph Lidster, the writer behind the new storyline, warns that it’s “very much the Twelfth Doctor so don’t expect him to be all lovely and holding your hand! He’s not too happy that you’ve ended up in his TARDIS and, at times, you’re very much on your own.”
• How Douglas Adams (Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) became Doctor Who script editor:
• Radio Times wants to know if you can tell your Torchwood from your Doctor Who.
• A teaser trailer has been released for Christopher Eccleston‘s upcoming film, Fortitude:
• Huge congratulations are due to Tîm Effeithiau and the Doctor Who Effects Team, who won the Special, Visual Effects and Graphics award at the 2014 BAFTA Cymru awards.
• Let’s end with something colorful. The end of “Robot of Sherwood” decked out in fancy Lego and animated: