‘Doctor Who’s Day Roundup: The Countdown To August 23 Begins!
Well it’s fair to say things are really heating up now: Doctor Who is coming back, and soon!
In less than two months’ time we will find out what the Twelfth Doctor is like, how his arrival affects Clara, and everything. The date to put in your calendars is August 23, and its announcement has been heralded with a fluster of other news.
For example, yesterday it was revealed that Green Wing star Michelle Gomez will be appearing in Season Eight, as a character called the Gatekeeper of the Nethersphere:
Steven Moffat had this to say about Michelle’s arrival: “I’ve known Michelle for years, and I’m thrilled to welcome her to Doctor Who. She’s everything we need – brilliant, Scottish, and a tiny bit satanic.”
And no sooner had that spoonful of sugar started to go down, this picture appeared in the BBC One Twitter stream. Just look who it is:
How vain are these Cybermen? They kept saying ‘DELETE’ as soon as they saw our camera. Must have picture approval. pic.twitter.com/rR9G8WONFH
— BBC One (@BBCOne) June 30, 2014
And before all this, a teaser trailer arrived on Friday, in which Peter Capaldi’s Doctor asks Clara to be a pal and tell him if he’s a good man. Her reply is not reassuring:
Naturally someone (ben57735) has already made a Minecraft parody. Of course they have: we’re on countdown, people!
Here’s what else has been going on in space and time this week:
• In an implicit confirmation that he’ll be sticking around as showrunner for a while yet, Steven Moffat shared with Doctor Who Magazine that he already has an idea for a cliffhanger at the end of the show’s ninth season. Ever the tease, Moffat dubbed the idea “a whopper. Ohh, I don’t think you’ll see this coming!”
• In other Moffat news, he has accidentally revealed the Doctor’s real name. Years of cloaked BBC secrecy are now down the drain. It’s…oh, we’ll spare the more gullible Anglo readers. He’s kidding, of course!
• The 3D-glasses Tenth Doctor has arrived in Doctor Who: Legacy. Use this code if you’re playing (it’s valid for a month):
• Wales Online has compiled a Who’s Day Roundup of its own, which tracks what various familiar Who faces have been up to recently. Here, you can check in on Karen Gillan, Arthur Darvill, Billie Piper, Russell T Davies, Noel Clarke, and Freema Agyeman.
• Titan Merchandise has announced that they will be heading to San Diego Comic-Con this year with a new Doctor Who range, including Eleventh Doctor TITANS figures, and this T-shirt:
• Blogger Rose & Odin has outlined the similarities between mothers and Time Lords in a heartwarming post. It even brilliantly equates stepping on rogue legos to facing off with Autons. Genius!
• She may have been a positive danger with a six-gun in “A Town Called Mercy” but Karen Gillan is currently shooting a western, In A Valley Of Violence, co-starring John Travolta. Look:
— Karen Gillan (@KarenGillan2) June 25, 2014
• Screenwriter Jamie Mathieson (Being Human, Dirk Gently) has been confirmed for Season Eight of Doctor Who. He has written episodes eight and nine, which are rumored to be separate stories rather than a two-parter.
• SFX magazine conducted a poll to find the best scene in all science fiction, and the first trip to Bad Wolf Bay, where Rose and the Doctor said their goodbyes at the end of “Doomsday,” has won.
• Fans of the Tenth Doctor! You can take this 10-question quiz to prove how well you know David Tennant.
• The cover of the 2015 Doctor Who annual was released yesterday:
• If the Twelfth Doctor’s buttoned-up white shirt reminds you of a certain Thin White Duke, you’re not alone. This may be a conscious reference to David Bowie, according to anonymous sources. Even unconfirmed, the similarity is pretty compelling considering Capaldi’s love of all things Bowie.
• Let’s end with something educational. Here’s Karen Gillan’s guide to Scottish colloquialisms (don’t worry, they’re perfectly safe), for Esquire magazine: