Were this not such a serious situation, some of the details in this story might appear to be a little …Read Now
‘Doctor Who’s Day Roundup: The Aftermath and The Beforemath
Welcome to this week’s gatheration of Whovian flotsam, which is partly a sweeping-up of leftover bits and bobs from “The Day of the Doctor,” and partly an anticipatory squee at the forthcoming “The Time of the Doctor” this Christmas. And partly a roundup of every other Doctor Who-related thing we could lay our eyes on.
Ready? Let’s go:
• Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, and Matt Smith got together to celebrate Doctor Who‘s 50th Anniversary.
• Speaking of which, did you know “The Day of the Doctor” beat the opening ceremony of the London Olympic Games to be the most requested program on the BBC’s iPlayer? 1.4 million people logged in to watch it in 24 hours. It’s now the biggest TV drama of the year, with just shy of 13 million people watching it in the U.K. alone.
And it proved to be no slouch in the U.S. box office either and could encourage other TV shows to come to a theater near you.
• Fans can buy “The Day of the Doctor” in a Blu-Ray 3D/Blu-Ray/DVD pack or DVD next Tuesday (December 10). Bonus features include the Doctor Who Explained special; the minisodes “The Night of the Doctor” and “The Last Day;” a behind-the-scenes featurette with the cast and Steven Moffat; the Comic-Con trailer, and the 50th anniversary tribute teaser.
• An exhaustive collection of the hidden references within “The Day of the Doctor,” part 1:
• A nice interview with Matt Smith, in which he says: “I think if I was going to choose to spend a couple of years in anyone’s body, why not live it as the Doctor? He’s going to have more fun than almost anyone else alive.”
• You can find Matt in his 13th and final Doctor cover of this month’s latest edition of Radio Times.
• The trailer for “The Time of the Doctor,” in case you missed it in all the excitement last week:
• Science fiction author Alastair Reynolds on why he loves Who.
• An interview with Tom Baker in which he says: “I can’t explain Doctor Who’s longevity no more than I can explain my own.”
• What does the endurance of Who and James Bond tell us about how to survive in pop culture? Entertainment Weekly looks into it.
• It was Karen Gillan’s 26th birthday last Thursday, so to celebrate we pulled together five adorable things she has done as Karen Gillan (as opposed to Amy Pond).
• Take a behind-the-scenes look at the making of The Day of the Doctor with Milk Visual Effects.
• If you liked “The Night of the Doctor,” you’re in luck cause Steven Moffat is interested in doing more minisodes!
• An exhaustive collection of the hidden references within “The Day of the Doctor,” part 2:
• Doctor Who: Legacy is now available (FOR FREE) on the Apple and Android markets. So if you haven’t already, go download it because it’s super addictive and awesome!
• Having had a good think about Peter Capaldi, and the Doctor having something of a sweet tooth, here are five British sweet things the Twelfth Doctor could stick in his pocket.
• A fantastic interview with Steven Moffat that you just HAVE to watch:
• Here are five outfits that were almost Eleven’s costume – sans bow tie.
• Den of Geek uncovered this ’80s song by the Australian band Ballamakanka, and it is quality…sort of. No, but really, it’s great in that super campy 80s way.
• WhatCulture explained why the Fourth Doctor would make a great art curator.
• Also, here are 10 intense fan theories on Doctor Who and all its timey-wimey-ness.
• And their 10 ingeniously tiny clues to big plots.
• Oh, and finally, this happened on Karen Gillan’s Twitter feed: