Yesterday evening, about 7pm BST (2pm EST), the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge left St. Mary’s Hospital with their newborn son, the Prince of Cambridge, who has been named George Alexander Lewis. The couple, all smiles, posed for photographs and answered a few questions from reporters before going back into the Hospital to put their baby in a car seat. They left a few minutes later for Kensington Palace. Queen Elizabeth II visited her great-grandson there for the first time this morning, reports BBC.
- Does the naming of a royal child inspire other parents to call their child by the same name? The BBC has a chart which shows the popularity of royal names surrounding royal births throughout the past century, and looks at naming trends in Britain.
- In his visit with Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall to the Royal Welsh Show in Powys today, Prince Charles was welcomed with many congratulations on becoming a grandfather. The Prince was amused by one woman who was wearing union flags in her hair, shouting “Congratulations Granddad!” reports BBC.
- The Guernsey Post has announced that they will issue a stamp set to celebrate the royal birth, mentions BBC. They also plan to present a set of the commemorative stamps to each of the four families in Guernsey and Alderney that welcomed new babies on the same day as the royal family.
- Anglesey, in North West Wales, has been home to the Duke and Duchess since their marriage in 2011, largely due to the fact that the island is also home to RAF Valley, where Prince William is a search and rescue helicopter pilot. Following the birth of their child, the island sent messages to the couple, congratulating them. BBC takes a look at some of those messages, as well as some families who gave birth to children the same day the royal child was born.
- Princess Diana and Prince Charles made their first appearance with Prince William 31 years ago in the very same spot that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge and Prince William revealed their child to the world yesterday. BBC places photographs of the two occasions side by side in their look at “Big Picture: Same Door 31 Years On.”