Will Anyone Call ‘Big Ben’ by Its New Name, ‘Elizabeth Tower’?

Introducing the Elizabeth Tower, formerly known as 'Big Ben.' (Rex Features via AP Images)

Most of us refer to the iconic Clock Tower at Westminster as “Big Ben,” which is actually the nickname of the bell that lives inside the 316-feet-tall structure. But any confusion over nomenclature may soon end: the tower is being renamed “the Elizabeth Tower” in honor of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, BBC News reports.

The House of Commons has agreed to the measure as a “fitting tribute” to Queen Elizabeth II, only the second British monarch to achieve 60 years on the throne. (Queen Victoria was the first, and she herself had a section of the Palace of Westminster named after her.) But that’s begs the question, folks:

Will you still refer to the Clock Tower as “Big Ben” or use its new name, the “Elizabeth Tower”? Or should it simply be known as “The Leaning Tower of London?

Kevin Wicks

Kevin Wicks

Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself—he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri—he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.
View all posts by Kevin Wicks.