Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Can Brits do Thanksgiving? Of course, they can. Last Thursday (November 20), the team at the Institute of Culinary Education […]Read Now
Don’t be fooled into thinking Thanksgiving is all about the food. Many Americans are just as passionate about the retail […]Read Now
Buckingham Palace has announced travel plans for the royal family to mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee next year.
The Queen’s press secretary posted the royal destinations on the monarchy’s official website.
The statement said that the Queen herself, and the Duke of Edinburgh, “will be traveling as widely as possible across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.” There were no plans announced for the Queen and Prince Philip to travel overseas. Travel to the farthest reaches of the empire has been assigned to the rest of the Windsor family, essentially as surrogates. According to the press release, other senior royals will be “visiting every Realm as well as undertaking visits to Commonwealth countries, Crown Dependencies and British Overseas Territories.”
Although the dates for the Queen’s visit to Northern Ireland were not posted on the monarchy’s website, the Belfast Telegraph reported that a Palace spokeswoman, confirming the visit, said: “The Queen will definitely be coming to Northern Ireland as part of the tour next year.”
The Belfast paper said that Kate and Will’s jubilee destinations would be “likely to attract the most interest.” They’re going to be going to Malaysia, Singapore, the Solomon Islands, and the tiny Tuvalu, the ten square mile group of islands that comprise the fourth-smallest country in the world, according to The Australian.
Australia – along with New Zealand and Papua New Guinea – will be on the itinerary for Prince Charles and Camilla. The couple will also be going to Canada, following up on what the National Post called “this past summer’s wildly successful visit” by Will and Kate. The paper reported that Charles and Camilla will visit New Brunswick, Ontario and Saskatchewan. (Charles will go solo to Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.)
Although Canadians had previously responded positively to rumors that Prince Harry might be their jubilee visitor, it turns out that he’s been tapped to go sunnier climes – Belize, Jamaica, The Bahamas.
Other destinations announced for members of the royal family were:
The Duke of York: India
The Earl and Countess of Wessex: Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Gibraltar, Grenada, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago (They’ve got it tough, don’t they?)
The Princess Royal: Mozambique, Zambia
The Duke of Gloucester: British Virgin Islands, Malta
The Duke of Kent: Falkland Islands, Uganda
“Further details of the regional and overseas visits,” concluded the official press release, “will be announced in due course.”