After suffering from chest pains on Friday, Prince Philip was rushed to a hospital where doctors treated him for a blocked coronary artery.
Buckingham Palace released a statement saying the Prince’s condition was “treated successfully by the minimally invasive procedure of coronary stenting.”
The Queen’s husband was taken to the cardiothoracic unit at Papworth House in Cambridgeshire, where doctors performed the stenting procedure, which involves pushing a small metal balloon surrounded by a metal sleeve into the obstructed artery.
“Prince Philip,” the palace statement said, “will remain in hospital under observation for a short period.”
BBC royal correspondent Nick Witchell said the Duke of Edinburgh was likely to stay at the hospital for at least a couple of days.
The duke had been at the Queen’s Sandringham estate in Norfolk, where the royal family traditionally gathers to celebrate Christmas, when he started feeling the pains in his chest.
The BBC’s Peter Hunt reported that no other royal family members accompanied him to the hospital.
The Prince, who marked his 90th birthday earlier this year, had joined his wife on an 11-day state visit to Australia in October, but had to cancel a trip to Italy just a few days later because he had developed a cold.
But the BBC’s Hunt said that there’s been no suggestion that Prince Philip was in ill health and that at a lunch with his staff a week ago he was reportedly “on very good form.” (via BBC News)Read More