Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Don’t be fooled into thinking Thanksgiving is all about the food. Many Americans are just as passionate about the retail […]Read Now
Chef James Briscione‘s career began humbly; he was a football star and dishwasher at a brunch spot in his adolescence. […]Read Now
Members of the royal family turned out in force on Remembrance Sunday to honor those who lost their lives in military conflicts since World War I.
The Queen, who led the tribute at Whitehall, laid the first wreath at the Cenotaph. She was followed, in order of royal seniority, by Princes Philip, Charles, William, Andrew, Edward, Princess Anne and Prince Edward.
There was a two-minute moment of silence to honor the dead.
The Duchess of Cambridge joined other royal spouses – the Duchess of Cornwall, Countess of Wessex (Prince Edward’s wife) and Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence (Princess Anne’s husband) – to watch the ceremony from the balcony of the Foreign and Commonwealth building.
Prince Harry, who is still here in the U.S. for his helicopter training, participated in a remembrance service parade in Arizona.
The Telegraph offered these video images:
In other military-related royal news:
• Britain’s turbulent relationship to the Falkland Islands is once again causing tensions internationally. It was announced last week that Prince William will be deployed on a six-week tour of duty to Falklands next February. As a lieutenant in the RAF, he will fly in helicopter search and rescue missions.
Next year also marks the thirtieth anniversary of the Falklands War, and the government of Argentina has already termed the planned tour of duty a “provocative act.”
The director of the Malvinas (as Argentina refers to the islands) and the South Atlantic at Argentina’s foreign ministry said, “We cannot ignore the political aspect of this military operation, taking into account that the Prince forms part of the Royal Family.”
Britain’s Ministry of Defence said William’s deployment is “routine.”
The chairman of the Falkland Island Legislative Assembly, Jan Cheek, told the Telegraph: “Only Argentina could make something political out of search and rescue. It’s very sad really. This has been a very peaceful place for the 180 years we have lived here, apart from the Argentine invasion. A foreign power should not be trying to dictate where the Duke is posted.”
• Meanwhile, Prince Andrew revealed that he and other members of his military team had their own anxieties about whether the Falklands War was justified at the time. The Duke of York was a helicopter pilot in the Royal Navy during the military action in 1982.
“It brings back the sort of thoughts that one was going through at the time. There was huge anxiety,” he told the BBC in a special Sunday Remembrance edition of Antiques Roadshow. He said that he and his comrades wondered: “Were we doing the right thing?”
“Of course we were going to recover British territory,” he said. “It was 30 years next year and that’s an awfully long time ago, but it’s still very fresh as a memory and I always think about the people I was serving with.” (via the Telegraph)