Current Time Lord Matt Smith paid a visit to Britain’s Chatty Man last Friday (July 15), where he gabbed about what’s new with The Doctor, life without Daleks, the show’s 50th anniversary and much, much more! Smith says his Time Lord alter ego would fancy a good, old-fashioned game of chess rather than a steamy romp in the sack. Check out all the fun, plus Smith and Carr’s Doctor Who theme jam with JLS below. WARNING: Some content is NSFW:
• We can hardly stand it. The annual San Diego Comic-Con is just two days away! Don’t forget, Matt Smith and Karen Gillan will be doing a panel and signing autographs on Sunday (July 24). Plus, the Eleventh Doctor will be joining other big TV names like Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory), Zachary Levi (Chuck), Joe Manganiello (True Blood), among others, for TV Guide’s “Fan Favorites” panel on Thursday (July 21). If you need a little guidance with your Comic-Con schedule, perhaps this super interactive schedule app will be of great assistance.
• Want to relive all the exciting events from Part 1 of Series 6? Both the DVD and Blu-Ray are now available for purchase via the BBC America Shop. We’ve gotten our mittens on a clip promoting the release, a behind-the-scenes tour from production designer Michael Pickwoad.
• David Tennant has not only failed to rule out making a return to the show — presumably in the vein of The Three Doctors, The Five Doctors or The Two Doctors — he’s actively keen to do it! He told TotalFilm: “People keep telling me that they’ve read online that I’m coming back — but believe me, if that happens I’ll be the first to tell everyone, I’ll be shouting about it very loudly.”
• Y’know we’ve been doing our How To Dress Like The Doctor series recently? Well, how cool would it be if you could keep all of your cosplay stuff in a TARDIS-shaped wardrobe? Yup, that’s right. Super-cool, in a slightly lame-but-who-cares sort of way. Check this out.
• And while we’re on the weekly catchups, the subject of this week’s Companion Companion is Tegan, the Fifth Doctor’s official “mouth on legs.”
• There’s a story in The Sun today (July 19), which appears to suggest that the British comedienne Miranda Hart has been ordered not to appear in Doctor Who, in case she gets distracted from delivering her show Miranda to BBC1.
Miranda confirmed that she has turned down the offer, saying: “I am a massive fan of Doctor Who, so was incredibly flattered to be asked to be part of it but with series three of Miranda happening next year it was never going to be possible as I am focusing entirely on the sitcom.”
• Matt Smith took time out to meet with the kids behind the Punchdrunk theater collective, who just put on a performance of “The Crash of the Elysium” at the Manchester International Festival. And The Doctor was thoroughly impressed. He told BBC News:
“I’ve always watched Punchdrunk shows and marveled at their inventiveness and individuality. Put that together with Doctor Who and there is a wonderful template to tell unique stories in unique ways. The Doctor would definitely approve.”
• Should you be a newbie to the Whoniverse, Crispian Jago has come up with an incredibly thorough “trans-generational map,” which borrows from the London tube version, of course. Absolutely amazing! (via The Londonist)