While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
Royal Roundup: Beatrice’s Philip Treacy Hat Heading to eBay
Princess Beatrice is giving up her much-talked about Philip Treacy hat. But it’s for a great cause.
The Daily Mail reports that her mother, Sarah Ferguson, revealed the news when visiting the The Oprah Winfrey Show on Wednesday (May 11).
“She’s putting it up on eBay to auction it for UNICEF and for Children in Crisis,” The Duchess of York said.
Treacy’s posh designer fascinators, which have appeared in several Harry Potter films as well as the first Sex and the City movie, typically fetch around $3,300 (£2,000). We’re going to put money on Bea’s hat bringing in some serious lolly for charity.
In other royal wedding-related news:
• With their honeymoon location widely reported to be the Seychelles, can the royal newlyweds evade the paparazzi? And should they even try to? The Sun’s royal photographer Arthur Edwards tells BBC News: “William is an old hand at dodging photographers. And if anyone invades their privacy they’re not going to take it lying down, they’ll fight back.”
But Max Clifford, the famous British publicist, says that William and Kate should lift the veil on their whereabouts, allowing photographers a brief window to snap their shots. “They need the support of the media. These youngsters are the future of the monarchy, they had a tremendously successful wedding, and they need to keep the momentum going.”
• It’s a rare occasion that you catch The Queen outside her royal sphere, let alone relaxing. But during England’s recent Easter holiday, she and her two youngest grandchildren, seven-year-old Lady Louise Windsor and her three-year-old brother James, Viscount Severn, ventured to Windsor Great Park to ride horses. She and the kiddos — whose parents are Prince Edward and Sophie, Countess of Wessex — looked to have had a lovely time. Go, Grandma, go!
• And speaking of Queen Elizabeth, did you know that the 85-year-old monarch will be crowned “Britain and Canada’s second longest reigning monarch in history” this week? According to The Examiner, she bests King George III‘s reign of 59 years and 96 days. Who holds the top spot? Queen Victoria, who ruled for exactly 63 years and 7 months prior to her death at age 81 in 1901. A Buckingham Palace representative went on to say that The Queen does not plan to commemorate such a record. “It will just be another normal working day,” the source said.
• Nevermind Wills and Kate and their recent royal wedding. Pippa Middleton mania is absolutely bonkers right now! In their new issue, out Friday (May 14), People magazine shines the spotlight on Kate’s stunning younger sis. There’s sure to be plenty of fabulous photos and other tasty tidbits about Miss Pippa.
• When betraying celebrity friends by selling scandalous photos of them, one must have a sound sales strategy. Apparently, Pippa’s “friends” aren’t very smart businesspeople. A rep from the photo agency X17Online tells Fox News: “I first saw the pictures online, meaning the agency wasn’t able to make an exclusive sale to a magazine. At the end of the day, totaling all worldwide licensing, I’d say these photos brought in less than $100,000, in part because the agency representing the photographer didn’t strategize properly. A big exclusive sale to a UK publication first, before selling them ‘all around,’ would have doubled their take.”
• Prince Harry, Regis Philbin loves you. When speaking with Keira Knightley on the set of LIVE! With Regis and Kelly on Tuesday (May 10), TV Squad reports that the chat show veteran gushed over the 26-year-old ginger prince and giddily so. However, Philbin’s co-host Kelly Ripa called it like she saw it: it’s a “man crush.”