Royal Roundup: Irish Guards Set to Get Special Honor at Wedding
Only weeks after being named their new regimental colonel, Prince William has selected the Irish Guards as the first soldiers to salute the royal newlyweds. They will greet William and Kate when they emerge from Westminster Abbey, The Mirror reports.
In other royal-related news:
– London’s Park Plaza Hotels and Resorts is offering four cocktails on the theme, “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.” In the new category, their drink is called a “Wedded Fizz,” made with Pimms No.1 and champagne, garnished with strawberry, mint and blackberry. Each of the cocktails costs £9 ($14.65) and is available at any of the chain’s six London hotels, OK! Magazine reports.
– Let others worry about the royal wedding gown. Footwear News asked five well-known shoe designers for sketches on what Kate should wear on her feet. The designers range from Manolo Blahnik to Giuseppe Zanotti. Best description of their design goes to Cesare Casadei, who wrote, “Kate reminds me of a 2011 Audrey Hepburn. … This elegant design is customized with embroidery and multishaped clear crystals, to create a waterfall of stones dancing down the foot.”
– Everyone shed a tear for poor David Beckham. The 35-year-old soccer star will have to hop on a jet immediately after the wedding to appear in a soccer match with his team, the LA Galaxy, The Mirror reports. No word on whether Beckham, who is paid $6.5 million annually by the Galaxy, will fly coach.
– Nothing like planning ahead. Yahoo! is out with a story contemplating names for Kate and William’s offspring. Diana and Elizabeth are favored names for a girl; William Jr., Charles and Harold are the favored names for a boy.
– Australian Janet Williams is one of the champion royal memorabilia collectors. Her stash totals 20,000 items — including life-sized mannequins of Kate and William. As shown in The Mirror, the Kate mannequin is a reasonable facsimile, despite the fact that she appears to be holding a wilted bouquet. William, on the other hand, has gray hair and is locked in a creepy smile.