Comedy Central’s The Daily Show appears to have a soft spot for expats, acting as an American career launching pad …Read Now
Royal Roundup: Kate is ‘The Lady in Red’ for St. Andrews Visit
Kate Middleton was a lady in red for her visit with Prince William Friday (February 25) to the University of St. Andrews. The two began their romance at the university 10 years ago. The couple returned to launch the school’s 600th anniversary celebration.
Both The Mirror and The Sun are in with early accounts of the visit. Kate wore a red coat with a black belt, black leather gloves with matching red trim around the wrists, and a black shirt. William wore a blue suit, blue shirt, and blue tie. In addition for meeting about 50 guests at a reception, the university announced a scholarship in Kate and William’s honor, Sify News reports. Before the couple had even arrived, The Telegraph had already published its review, “[T]he young couple revisiting the scene of their early courtship will be a sight to gladden every loyal royal heart.”
Check out a slideshow of William and Kate’s visit from BBC News.
In other royal-related news:
– Any odds on how long it will take Prince Harry, William’s younger brother and best man, to toast the royal newlyweds? The Mirror reports bookmaker Hills is listing Harry as a 6-4 favorite to speak for between five and 10 minutes, and 16-1 for over 25 minutes.
– Thrift is a trait admired by the Queen, and Kate did her part when she visited Anglesey to christen a new lifeboat. She recycled a five-year-old coat for the occasion. Kate first wore the close-fitting camel coat with chocolate trim in 2006, The Herald Sun reports. For this outing, the £725 ($1200) coat had been shortened above the knee, a spokesperson for the coat’s designer, Katherine Hooker confirms. In another display of royal parsimony, Princess Anne, William’s aunt, attended a 2008 wedding in the same dress and hat she wore to the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana 27 years earlier.
– Careful readers of this column should have no problem with the first question in this week’s BBC News’ Weekly World News Quiz. Ready? Here’s the question:
Which glamorous Europeans didn’t get an invite to Prince William and Kate Middleton’s wedding?
A.) Crown Prince Alexander and Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia
B.) Exiled King Constantine of Greece and Princess Anne-Marie
C.) President Nicolas Sarkozy and Carla Bruni
That’s right. The correct answer is C.
– People Magazine has a video report on the remote village in northwest Wales Kate and William will call home. Scenic it’s not. The sheep population outnumbers humans 3:1, and the major store in town is a Tesco. The video does show the exterior of Kate and William’s favorite pub, The White Eagle.
– Street parties celebrating the royal nuptials seem to have taken hold in greater Manchester, according to the Manchester Evening News. There have been 20 applications for licenses for parties and parades and inquiries for “scores more.” Party organizer Tracey Gibbs told the paper: “I wouldn’t say we are all flag-waving royalists. But we are very grateful to them for giving us the extra bank holiday! We’ll raise a glass to them, but it’s more a celebration of love and marriage en masse.”