Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Well, it’s that time of year again when post-Christmas wallets are weighed up and paperwork is gathered for the filing …Read Now
It is said that a positive review from British restaurant critic Giles Coren can be worth $1 million to an …Read Now
It’s accepted that we have British English and American English, but, in written communication, there’s more than just language differences. …Read Now
The very handsome Matthew Goode might be sizing up his superhero skills once again, as he's evidently being considered for the lead role in Zach Snyder's forthcoming Superman reboot.
According to Movienewz, it's Snyder who's calling for the British actor to sign on for 2012's Superman: Man of Steel. And this wouldn't be the first time Goode's teamed up with Snyder; he made a splash on the silver screen in his role of Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias in Snyder's 2009 superhero adaptation, Watchmen.
I think this is a huge step up from Brandon Routh's portrayal in 2006's Superman Returns.
Do you think Matthew Goode would make a great Superman?
In other news:
– David Mitchell and Robert Webb a.k.a. Peep Show's Mark and Jez chat with the scribes behind the BAFTA award-winning sitcom, Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong, about their hysterical and endearing relationship. (The Guardian)
– Damon Albarn, you have a friend in Roger Daltrey. It seems that the legendary Who frontman has no qualms about slagging off American Idol and X Factor principal Simon Cowell. Daltrey thinks the music industry is in absolute shambles due to Cowell's actions, maintaining that "he wouldn't know what the 'X Factor' was if it bit him on the b******s." Yowsa! (The Sun)
Speaking of The X Factor, there's loads of commotion unfolding at the moment. Former contestant Gamu Nhengu will issue her debut holiday single, "Where Will You Sleep This Christmas", which will benefit the Scottish charity group Aberlour. But in much weirder news, Katie Waissel apparently just found out that her dear old grandmother is a prostitute. I sincerely hope for Waissel's sake that it's all a bunch of crap.
Wagner Carrilho best be minding his Ps and Qs, after judge Cheryl Cole put him in his place during Sunday's Beatles-themed show. She didn't appreciate the Brazilian-born crooner's choice remarks about her Newcastle upbringing. Dude, what were you thinking?
– Kate Winslet and Louis Dowler are no more. The Oscar-winning actress, who split from English film director Sam Mendes in March, took up with the dashing model earlier this summer. But just after four months together, Winslet is looking to have some time to herself. (The Daily Mail)
– Lost and Party of Five looker Matthew Fox will make his British theater debut in Neil LaBute's forthcoming play, A Forest, Dark and Deep. Fox has been cast as Bobby, who assists his sister Betty, as portrayed by British actress Olivia Williams, in cleaning out her cottage home in a forest. The play is set to open in London next spring.
"I never really think of it in terms of theatre, film, TV — what's going to be next for me?" Fox said. "I want to get involved in stories that speak to me. This one happened to be a play in the West End of London which has always been a dream of mine." (BBC)
– British supermodel Stella Tennant strikes a pose for a lovely holiday spread for H&M. Looking ageless and stunning, she is joined by two of her four children, Cecily and Jasmine, who are nine and seven, respectively. (The Daily Mail)
by MacKenzie Wilson