Academy Award-winning actress Emma Thompson isn't keen on the whole "cougar" thing. Frankly, I think it's waaaaay blown out of proportion. Y'know, who really cares if an older woman is with a younger man, right?
"I don't get it," said the 51-year old Thompson, whose husband Greg Wise is seven years her junior. "It seems predatory and I don't really approve."
The list of celebrity cougars has included the likes of Madonna, Demi Moore, Sam Taylor-Wood and Joan Collins, but Thompson claims that she wouldn't entertain the notion should she ever find herself single.
"I've had a lot of male attention here from budding young actors asking about getting on in show business", she explained. "One even asked me how to change his agent. It got me thinking about the cougar thing. I am a happily married woman, but, even if I was single, I wouldn't be up for it." (The Daily Telegraph)
In other news:
– The Happy Mondays' notorious frontman Shaun Ryder leads the pack of new contestants heading down under in ITV's news season of I'm a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here! The 48-year-old says he's going to be "very nice" and that "people will see a new side" of him. Plenty of hijinks to ensue, I'm sure. Ryder will be joined by former Bond girl Britt Ekland, Chariots of Fire star Nigel Havers and two-time Olympian Linford Christie, among others. (The Sun)
– Celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay is known for his highly brusque demeanor, as often seen on BBC America's Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. But the 44-year-old television personality has put all of that aside to pen a letter to his mother-in-law Greta Hutcheson, who is miffed at Ramsay for terminating his 12-year working relationship with her husband, Chris, due to irreconciable differences. Ramsay asks his dear old Mum-in-law to keep the family together, despite what's happened. (The Evening Standard)
– When Sir Ian McKellan recently attended the Savannah Film Festival, the English actor divulged his own hilarious take on filming the dramatic Balrog scene in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. (The Daily What)
– Rachel Weisz and Darren Aronofsky are dunzo. The English actress and her American movie director fiancé were together nine years and have a four-year-old son, Henry. Rumor has it that Weisz may have taken up with her Dream House co-star Daniel Craig. (The Daily Mail)
– While Take That mania continues to swarm the UK, the year's most celebrated reunion almost didn't happen. In the band's new documentary Look Back, Don't Stare, Robbie Williams admits that he bailed once, only to come back after some friendly cajoling from Mark Owen. (The Daily Mirror)Read More