Were this not such a serious situation, some of the details in this story might appear to be a little …Read Now
Roundup: Brit Army Chief Urges Channel 4 to Nix Prince Harry Doc
Earlier this month, Anglophenia shared the news that Britain's Channel 4 is scheduled to broadcast The Taking of Prince Harry, a 90-minute film capturing a potential hostage situation involving the Taliban and the 26-year-old ginger prince.
Now, Britain's Army Chief has called for a ban of the mockumentary. The Hollywood Reporter gives details that Sir Jock Stirrup has reached out to Channel 4 chairman Sir Terry Burns in hopes of stopping the broadcast. He suggests that showing the film would cause great and unnecessary stress for other families with loved ones serving in and around Afghanistan.
A few scenes from The Taking of Prince Harry are difficult to watch, including one which sees Harry having an unloaded gun pointed in his face. He was deployed to Afghanistan as an air controller for 10 weeks in late 2007, but news quickly spread to the Internet, only fueling grand concern that Harry would be a likely terrorist target.
Channel 4 did respond to Stirrup's letter, but stood by their decision to air the fictional account come October 21st. "The film is rooted in expert testimony and is a serious journalistic examination of a current issue. It treats the subject matter sensitively."
Do you think Channel 4 should air The Taking of Prince Harry?
In other news:
– The rumors are running rampant around the forthcoming 2012 installment of The Hobbit. Peter Jackson has signed on as director and now there are whispers that Doctor Who alumnus David Tennant, Michael Fassbender, and James Nesbitt could possibly join the cast. Sherlock's Martin Freeman might very well be Bilbo Baggins, too. This is going to be brilliant, my friends. Fingers and toes are crossed. (Blastr)
– Everyone's favorite pill-popping doctor on TV, Hugh Laurie, was spotted in New Orleans this week, most likely laying down some music at the famed Piety Street Recording studio. The House star has been working on a blues-inspired collection of songs for Warner Bros. for a while now, and the legendary Allen Toussaint has contributed arrangements for the album. Sounds pretty sweet to me. The British actor is an accomplished musician and is sometimes seen playing guitar and piano on House. He and fellow Heroes star Greg Grunberg also jam in a charity rock group called Band from TV. (NOLA.com)
– Will the real Banksy please stand up? Apparently the pseudonymous British graffiti artist, who recently appeared on an episode of The Simpsons, may have owned up to being the harassing and drug-loving hippie who yelled after Prince Charles at last summer’s Glastonbury festival. A clip entitled “Royal Visit, Glastonbury 2010” was recently uploaded to Banksy's own YouTube account and his official website. The hippie-in-question just wanted "Charlie" to "have a little taster." What do you think? (The Metro)
– In his forthcoming new book Life, Keith Richards has come out calling his Rolling Stones bandmate Mick Jagger "unbearable." But don't dismiss such criticism as the end all, for Keef still loves his longtime musical buddy and the two remain as close as ever.
"He was a bit peeved about this and that," Richards says. "[But] Mick and I are still great friends and still want to work together. Can you imagine if life went along smoothly and everybody agreed? Nothing would happen. There'd be no blues." (Rollingstone.com)
– X Factor fans can relax a bit, for Gamu Nhengu isn't going anywhere for now. The Zimbabwean-born inspiring singer is speculated to be performing with JLS tonight at the MOBO Awards in Liverpool. (The Metro)
– Gavin & Stacey's Joanna Page has landed her first modeling gig. The natural beauty is striking a pose as the face of Superdrug Vitamin E Illuminating Moisture Cream.
"I never dreamed of modeling," she says. "I'm comfy in front of the camera, being an actress, but this is a dream come true. I wouldn't wear make-up to go to college, but I'd dress up as different people. So to have the opportunity now to do this with Superdrug and pose in front of the camera is just so much fun. To have bright red lips and smoky eyes and have my hair done and then just stand there and pout is brilliant." (OK!)