While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
Roundup: Cheryl Cole Debuts Her ‘Promise’ Ring
Can we all agree that the world belongs to Cheryl Cole right now? The foxy brunette beat malaria and her very public divorce to footballer Ashley Cole is officially behind her. She has a new album coming out in November and will be a judge on the American X Factor. Annnnnd America is finally falling head over heels for her, while she seemingly brushes off the constant paparazzi with nothing but class. We heart Cheryl Cole.
As if the Geordie-born Girls Aloud singer had any free time left in her day, Cole showcased her first line of jewelry in London on Wednesday. Her ring collection, Promise, is a part of the luxury jewelry outfit, de Grisogono.
Several of her friends and colleagues showed up in support, including Girls Aloud bandmates Kimberly Walsh and Nicola Roberts and X Factor judge Louis Walsh. Fellow Cole admirer American pop star Selena Gomez and one Anglophenia's favorites, Florence Welch of Florence + the Machine were also in attendance. (The Daily Mail)
In other news:
– Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch will serve as guest host for the series return of Have I Got News For You. The celebrated comedy quiz show kicks off Thursday, October 14th and the dapper Cumberbatch couldn't be more excited to take part.
He tells the BBC, "I'm very excited and honoured and, like a moth to the flame, I am terrified but cannot resist! I have watched the show since its inception, and my family and I used to make it a routine TV date to relish. How could I resist the chance for the audience to witness my being shot down in flames by the wit of Merton and Hislop?"
– The forthcoming John Lennon documentary, LENNONNYC, is said to include never before heard audio of the late Beatle. Directed by Michael Epstein, the film captures Lennon's years living in the Big Apple with Yoko Ono and their son, Sean Ono Lennon. A free showing at New York City's Central Park is set for October 9th, which would have been Lennon's 70th birthday. PBS will also premiere the film on November 22nd. (NME).
– It's been quite a year so far for Aussie pop queen Kylie Minogue. She earned a career-fifth No. 1 album when her 11th studio effort, Aphrodite, topped the UK charts in June. She's a proud auntie to nephew Ethan, who was born to Minogue’s sister, X Factor judge Dannii Minogue and her boyfriend Kris Smith in July. And finally, the fashionable blonde is "lucky" in love with her beau, Spanish model Andres Velencoso Segura. She and him are finally shackin' up and she chats about it and more with The Sun.
– Christopher Plummer will play opposite Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara in the film adaptation based on Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Filming is currently underway in Sweden with director David Fincher. (The Hollywood Reporter)
– Pet Shop Boys fans, ready yourself for some more domino dancing! Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe are prepping for their forthcoming greatest hits collection, Ultimate Pet Shop Boys, complete with a brand new single, "Together." The deluxe package, out this November, will also include footage of the dance-pop duo's performance from last summer's Glastonbury Festival on DVD. I think my heart might start missing a beat … H-H-heartbeat. (NME)
Today in trivia: Twenty-three years ago today, BBC Radio 1 made its debut in the UK. Former Radio Caroline DJ Tony Blackburn was the first presenter on air.