Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
In case you were wondering if Halloween experts exist, they most certainly do. We were lucky enough to correspond with […]Read Now
Not many people see Los Angeles as an epicenter for architecture. An epicenter for earthquakes, perhaps, but isn’t it a […]Read Now
- Two-time Oscar winner Emma Thompson tells Good Housekeeping women shouldn’t try to “have it all,” meaning both a perfect work and family life. “I don’t want your readers ever to think they have to have it all. I think that’s a revolting concept. It’s so false! Sometimes you’ll have some things, and sometimes you’ll have other things. And you do not need it all at once; it’s not good for you…”
- The Daily Telegraph‘s Rose Murray-West slams Thompson’s comments: “Most working mums aren’t even trying to ‘have it all’ – they’re just putting the food on the table for their families and ensuring that they are well cared for in the long term…No one ever describes a man with children and a job as ‘trying to have it all.’”
- The Daily Mail‘s Fay Weldon, however, says, “Emma Thompson is right. A woman can’t have it all. There has never been a time when she could. If she tries, something suffers – whether it be her job, her children or her husband.”
- Morrissey says Queen Elizabeth shouldn’t allow her royal guards to wear fur hats: “The mere sight of each bearskin hat must surely jab at the Queen’s heart.” (Digital Spy)
- Sir Tom Jones made nearly $5 million for one Red Cross charity concert, an all-time record for one gig. Sir Tom allegedly gave back “a substantial chunk” of his fee. (Mirror)
- LMAO: American Idol settled on Jennifer Lopez because actually successful folks like Sir Elton John passed on the job. Don’t be fooled by the rocks that she got, this lady’s whole ‘effin career is shot.(Popeater)
- Russell Brand‘s rental car – a Lamborghini, natch – was smashed up in a crash in a Manhattan. The car was “pranged from behind” by a truck, reports The Daily Mail.
- Mischa Barton and Amy Winehouse convened for a “hot mess” summit. Peaches Geldof must have had prior engagements.(Daily Mail)
- Before he takes over Larry King‘s CNN slot, Piers Morgan gets some practice filling in for Regis Philbin on Live with Regis and Kelly.(Daily Mail)
- Naomi Campbell is testifying in a “blood diamond” war crimes trial and will receive “special protection” from onlookers as she travels to and from court in the Netherlands. (Guardian)
- Kate Winslet‘s model boyfriend is ridicu-hot!(Daily Mail)
- Get ready for a Sinbad mini-series. And no, we don’t mean the dude from A Different World.(The Stage)
- The Guardian lists “10 great British character actors” from the telly.
- The question on everyone’s mind: who is Daniel Radcliffe‘s mystery brunette?
- Newton Faulkner, the dreadlocked ginger singer-songwriter who had a big UK hit with “Dream Catch Me” in 2007, is back and has an interview with The Independent.
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.