World Cup Wrap-Up: Spain vs. the Netherlands Final
It’s the Dutch vs. the Spanish: who will rule? Guest blogger Michael Cree is back with a preview of Sunday’s World Cup final. – KW
Sunday’s World Cup Final promises to be an exciting one. The first final to be held on African soil will also herald a new name to the coveted trophy – neither the Netherlands nor Spain has ever won the competition before. Spain will go in as favorites, and rightly so, given that David Villa is in fabulous form.
The Dutch have played more collectively en route to this point, with the magnificent Wesley Sneijder orchestrating the most danger.
It would be an upset if Holland won, as Spain is the better team on paper. But this is the World Cup Final – convention doesn’t apply. Enjoy it, people. You’ll be one of an estimated 2 billion watching!
Predicted winner: SPAIN.
In other news:
- We’re happy to hear that Absolutely Fabulous star Jennifer Saunders is in remission after a bout with breast cancer. (BBC)
- The malaria-stricken Cheryl Cole has left ICU. (BBC)
- Congrats to Archie Panjabi – who played Sam Tyler’s girlfriend, Maya, on Life On Mars – on her Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series Emmy nomination for The Good Wife. She’s really great on that show opposite fellow nominee Julianna Margulies.
- Susan Boyle is giving back to the website that made her an international superstar: she has launched a worldwide YouTube search for a duet partner for her next album. As The Mirror reports, “Britain’s Got Talent star Susan, 49, wants hopefuls to upload videos of themselves singing ‘Silent Night.’ The singer has dubbed it ‘The Susan Search.'”
- Gavin & Stacey‘s Mathew Horne and Sheridan Smith, Nighty Night‘s Julia Davis, The Office‘s Mackenzie Crook, and I’m Alan Partridge‘s Steve Coogan are all lined up to do Chekhov one-act plays on British TV. (The Stage)
- Snoop Dogg is angling for a role on the 50-year-old UK soap, Coronation Street? And he wants his pal David Beckham alongside him? It’s not so far-fetched: a couple of years back, Snoop appeared as himself on the U.S. soap, One Life To Live.
By the way, you may have seen Snoop and Becks together in those bizarre Adidas/Star Wars commercials that have been playing all summer. (Rockers Ian Brown and Noel Gallagher also make appearances.)