Why is “Neutron Star Collision” Trending on Twitter?
- For all of you who logged into Twitter today thinking the apocalypse is nigh, you’re in good company. “Neutron Star Collision” is the No. 1 trending topic on the popular micro-blogging site today, ahead of topics like Justin Bieber, the Gulf oil spill, and Rand Paul.
Well, those anticipating the decimation of the universe were sorely disappointed: “Neutron Star Collision” is the name of the latest single from UK rock band Muse, and the video for the song premiered today. A Muse video premiere wouldn’t usually be that notable, but the song is featured on the soundtrack for the next Twilight movie. And the video features some never-before-seen clips from said movie. Hence, all of the Twitter noise.
Too bad the song is totes lame. To my ears, this is paint-by-the-numbers Britpop sap – an overblown piano anthem that sounds like Coldplay and Keane at their mushiest. And Matt Bellamy is doing his default Thom Yorke impression, singing doomed-lovers lyrics like “Our love would be forever, and if we die, we die together.”
Make no mistake: I can appreciate the drama of Muse’s sound, but this is unforgivable cheese. Which means it’ll be the song that breaks them in the States. Sad, no?
- Robert Pattinson has cut his hair. Here I was thinking that bathing was the more pressing issue.(Daily Mail)
- Was Lily Allen the best British songwriter of the past year? (Guardian)
- So Courtney Love knows what Kate Moss tastes like. Whoop-dee-doo.(Telegraph)
- Mick Jagger says the UK should experiment with drug legalization by testing it out on the Isle of Man. Hey, they test cell phones there, right?(Daily Mail)