While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
American Idol Eyes Madonna To Replace Simon Cowell
- Could Madonna (!?!?!) be the next American Idol judge? Executive producer Simon Fuller “wants a big name” to replace Simon Cowell, who makes his final appearance on America’s No. 1 show tomorrow night. I think this is a no-go: Madonna still fancies herself a relevant “artist” and becoming a TV star just reeks of “has-been,” even on a show as massive and financially lucrative as American Idol. Too bad Sir Elton John turned the Idol gig down: he would have been perfect. I hear Adam Ant might soon be available, though. He’s like Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul wrapped up into one!
- Also: has Simon made cruelty banal?
- Novelist Neil Gaiman, who talks to BBC NEWS about writing his first episode of Doctor Who, concurs with fantasy writer Terry Pratchett‘s assessment that the show isn’t proper sci-fi. “Doctor Who has never pretended to be hard science fiction,” Gaiman said. “At best Doctor Who is a fairytale, with fairytale logic about this wonderful man in this big blue box who at the beginning of every story lands somewhere where there is a problem…”
- Here’s a first look at Footballers Wive$ star Zöe Lucker‘s new character on the British soap, EastEnders. (Digital Spy)
- British pop star Pixie Lott will play the pregnant Mary opposite Sam Rockwell‘s Joseph in the new film, Second Coming. Kim Cattrall will play Mary’s mother Darlene. Britney Spears (!) was originally slotted to play Mary.
If you’re not familiar with Ms. Lott’s music, here’s the video for her UK pop hit, “Boys and Girls”:
- The Daily Telegraph‘s Neil McCormick heralds the successful re-issue of The Rolling Stones‘ Exile on Main Street (currently No. 1 in the UK) and hopes that it marks a return to more “human” music. “The way Exile has been enthusiastically welcomed by music listeners shows that its not perfection we crave, it’s the human stuff of music: passion, feel, inspiration. I’d like to hear some of that on a modern rock record.”
- The Daily Mail thinks Catherine Zeta-Jones‘ recent evening gown looks like a “garbage bin liner.”
- Liam Gallagher‘s new band has selected a name: Beady Eye.(NME)