- In The Daily Mail, Leona Lewis opens up about being attacked by a deranged fan at a London book signing last fall: “I feel completely devastated by this attack. Now I am very frightened about going out in public and I don’t know where the next attack will come from and if this will be more serious than what has just happened.”
- Avatar knocks down another record: it is now the highest-grossing movie ever in the UK. The film has already reached that milestone globally and in the U.S.(Guardian)
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie are suing News of the World after the British newspaper published a “false and intrusive” report announcing the couple’s split.(BBC)
- Jude Law and Matt Damon will star opposite Oscar winners Kate Winslet and Marion Cotillard in Steven Soderbergh‘s next film, Contagion: “The action-thriller is about an outbreak of a deadly virus threatening four continents, weaving together various storylines, similar to the director’s Traffic.”(The Independent)
- Beauty overload warning: in a video for The Guardian, Nicholas Hoult (formerly of Skins) and Matthew Goode talk about how gorgeous they are in A Single Man.
The Guardian‘s Lyn Gardner asks the same question I posed yesterday: did the Oliviers reward celebrity over talent with some of their high-wattage nominees?
- Is Rupert Friend taking dieting tips from his girlfriend Keira Knightley? He looks seriously unwell.(Daily Mail)
- The Who‘s extremely rough-around-the-edges Super Bowl performance gets a great review from The Guardian.
- Ringo Starr finally has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.(Telegraph)
- Paul Weller will receive NME’s Godlike Genius award this year.(NME)
- Singer Edwyn Collins has released his first recording since his stroke in 2005.(Guardian)
- The Sun reunites some original EastEnders cast members, 25 years after the premiere.
- The ban of product placement in TV programs has been lifted in the UK. However, as The Daily Telegraph notes, “The BBC will remain banned from promoting any products.”
- Is Susan Boyle trying to ditch her “cat lady” person? She and her feline companion, Pebbles, are now living in separate houses.(Daily Record)
- Pot, meet kettle: notorious biznatch Piers Morgan calls Elaine Paige “bitchy” in regards to comments she made about Susan Boyle.(Digital Spy)
- Rich, horny old men can sleep easier tonight: Heather Mills says she’ll never marry again.(The Sun)
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Like any other language, American has its idioms. Some are very similar to British English, and it’s not difficult for […]Read Now
It’s not just the work of Will Shakespeare that makes it across the Atlantic. British dramas, comedies, and high-energy musicals […]Read Now