- Simon Cowell will leave American Idol after this season and bring X Factor to Fox in fall 2011, The NY Times confirms. Well, I think this essentially ends American Idol, especially with Paula Abdul gone. (Note: Abdul may join him on the U.S. X Factor.) Who replaces him? Piers Morgan? Diddy? Quincy Jones? Sharon Osbourne? It can’t be done. Not that Fox won’t try. Network TV has made a lot of dumb decisions lately.
- Or maybe Andrew Lloyd Webber could replace Cowell. The man behind Any Dream Will Do and How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria? has yet another show in the works. It’s Over the Rainbow, a search for a new star to play Dorothy in a West End production of The Wizard of Oz musical. Auditions for the show are being held this month.
- Former Doctor Who star Billie Piper tells The Observer that having a kid has made her re-think doing raunchy sex scenes on The Secret Diary of a Call Girl: “I’m not shy of a sex scene, but these scenes aren’t just pretend penetration in your pants, they’re really exposing. There was one where I had to do it doggy style and make animal noises. And there is a part of me that thinks: ‘I have to go home and feed my son now, and I’m going to need several showers before that. And a lot of praying’…I just hope I raise my son as someone who’s really open-minded. And forgiving. ‘Forgive me son, for I have sinned.’” If I ever have a band, it will be named Pretend Penetration in Your Pants.
- Today is a sad day for beauty: the world’s most gorgeously mochaccino couple, racer Lewis Hamilton and Pussycat Dolls singer Nicole Scherzinger, are a couple no more.(The Times)
- Meanwhile, singer Jamie Cullum and his model girlfriend, Sophie Dahl, have gotten married.(BBC)
- Snow Patrol frontman Gary Lightbody is moonlighting on two other side projects.(Guardian)
- Mel B will replace Marissa Jaret Winokur as host of Oxygen’s Dance Your Ass Off.(LA Times)
Being Human‘s Lenora Crichlow (Annie) has a new BBC show: “Material Girl is set in the fashion industry and we follow Ali Redcliffe and her rise to fame within the industry,” she tells Digital Spy. “When we meet her, she’s working under a huge big label but in episode one it all goes wrong and she has to start from scratch!
- The Daily Telegraph counts down the top 100 liberals and top 100 conservatives in the U.S.
- Amy Winehouse has slammed her father on Twitter for appearing in a tell-all documentary about her.(Daily Mail)
- The Daily Mail has photos of a “wild-haired and bare-chested” Sir Paul McCartney on vacation with his lover.
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Like any other language, American has its idioms. Some are very similar to British English, and it’s not difficult for […]Read Now
It’s not just the work of Will Shakespeare that makes it across the Atlantic. British dramas, comedies, and high-energy musicals […]Read Now