Brenda Blethyn returns to the U.S. in season five of Vera on Monday, July 6, and she’s asking all the …Read Now
American Torchwood In Development at Fox
I’d heard rumors about this for a little while, but today The Hollywood Reporter revealed the news: Fox is developing a U.S. version of Torchwood. Usually, U.S. re-makes are shaky propositions – we all saw what happened with that hot mess that sorta resembled Life On Mars on ABC. But there’s reason to be optimistic with Torchwood, as THR shows us:
The project is from BBC Worldwide Prods., with original series creator Russell T Davies writing the script…Unlike U.S. adaptations that have gone awry, Torchwood fans can take comfort that the original producing team is on board. In addition to Davies, exec producers include Davies’ producing partner Julie Gardner (former head of drama at BBC Wales for the show’s first season) and Jane Tranter (another BBC vet, now exec vp programming and production at BBC Worldwide Prods. in the U.S.). Also, some of the current cast — most likely John Barrowman, who plays the immortal Capt. Jack Harkness — might star if Fox orders Torchwood to pilot.
Huge sigh of relief. Davies, Gardner, and Tranter together will maintain the creative integrity of the show. But how will they preserve continuity with Doctor Who? That brings us to another point, buried at the end of the Hollywood Reporter article:
Tranter might try to reboot “Doctor Who” for U.S. audiences…
The plot thickens. I’ll be interested to see how this all works out.
In other news:
- Simon Cowell is a step closer to global domination: he has signed a massive deal with Sony. As THR reports, “Simon Cowell announced a new five-year joint venture with Sony that will pool the television and music assets of global TV formats The X Factor and [the] Got Talent [franchise], as well as a musical roster including such stars as Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle, and Il Divo.”
- Oh dear: the hits keep on coming on the Billie Piper “Crazy Quote” Press Tour. (Telegraph)
- Ricky Gervais gave Mel Gibson fair warning about that DUI joke on the Golden Globes.
- Globes attendee Sir Paul McCartney also took Ricky’s jibes with good humor.(The Sun)
- The Daily Mail takes shots at Ricky Gervais’ Golden Globes performance, cherry-picking Gervais’ worst critics’ reviews.
- Jamie Oliver‘s attempts to convert the residents of “America’s fattest city” – Huntington, West Virginia – to healthy eating were met such with such hostility that the celebrity chef “was left in tears.”(Daily Mail)
- Pete Doherty‘s former Libertines cohort, Carl Barât, will make his stage debut in Sam Shepard‘s Fool For Love.(The Times)
- Listen to Corinne Bailey Rae‘s new album, The Sea, in its entirety.(The Times)
- Jonathan Ross‘ wife has a new car, and it’s to die for.(Daily Mail)
- Kate Moss and boyfriend Jamie Hince are engaged, apparently.(Daily Mail)