- Former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston will play John Lennon in a new BBC drama, Lennon Naked. As The Stage reports, the one-off movie “looks at Lennon’s life following the death of The Beatles‘ manager Brian Epstein in 1967…The film also charts Lennon’s relationship with Yoko Ono and the reasons why Lennon abandoned the UK to start a new life in America.”
With longer hair and a bit of scruff, Eccleston can slightly resemble Lennon, and I can see him embodying Lennon’s bitterness and painful rebirth at the time. Eccleston is truly one of the finest British actors of today, and I look forward to seeing him tackle this role.
- Susan Boyle‘s new album I Dreamed a Dream is the biggest debut release in UK history, selling 410,000 copies last week (a number that would be impressive here in the States, too.) BBC NEWS knocked on Boyle’s door and got a reaction from the Scottish singer. I can’t believe she still answers her own door. By the way, a documentary on Boyle is coming to U.S. television.
- The Guardian has named The Streets‘ Original Pirate Material the Album of the Decade.
- Also from The Guardian: Morrissey‘s Desert Island Discs includes Marianne Faithfull’s “Come and Stay with Me” and Mott the Hoople’s “Sea Diver.”
- A photo from this DVD cover almost cost Ricky Gervais £200,000.(Telegraph)
- A week after they were finally bounced from X Factor, Jedward performed to standing-room-only crowds at G-A-Y.
- The American version of X Factor will be set in Vegas.(New York Post)
- Sir Ian McKellen worries that Little Britain‘s “Only Gay in the Village” isn’t helping the gay cause.(Towleroad)
- Hollyoaks star Ricky Whittle was arrested Friday for allegedly assaulting a photographer, and it could cost him a Strictly Come Dancing title.(The Sun)
- Man, Emma Watson looks really pissed off. She couldn’t be mad that a bunch of lowlife photographers ruined her vacation, could she? That would be too logical.(Daily Mail)
- Tony Robinson, Baldrick from Blackadder, dishes on his former co-stars Hugh Laurie, Stephen Fry, and Rowan Atkinson. About Mr. Fry, he says, “Stephen Fry is all b*******. I’d let him argue for ten minutes and then I’d put the opposing view, saying ‘Stephen, I don’t know as much as you because my university was the street’, and he would jackknife in frustration. Stephen’s formulations are so elegant and labyrinthine that you don’t notice the bits when he is talking b*******. He comes to a mental cul-de-sac and manages to reverse out, whereas the rest of us would go into the lamppost.” (Daily Mail)
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
As we know, this country is huge and varied, so a real bucket list could fill a book. However, there […]Read Now
Wealthy folk in the U.S. and back home in Blighty are a complicated bunch with a rich history and, no […]Read Now
Located in Memphis, Tennessee, the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is the first and only U.S. National Cancer Institute-designated cancer […]Read Now