Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Not many people see Los Angeles as an epicenter for architecture. An epicenter for earthquakes, perhaps, but isn’t it a […]Read Now
Scottish radio and TV broadcaster Edith Bowman is no stranger to fame. She covered Live 8 for BBC Scotland in […]Read Now
- Maxim Magazine blasts David Beckham for his exorbitant contract with the LA Galaxy, which has done nothing to lift the profile of American soccer: “Three seasons into what was supposed to be the magic bullet that finally made soccer relevant ( i.e. profitable, interesting, televised) in the U.S., David Beckham’s much publicized move to MLS and his grotesquely huge contract are nothing short of a catastrophe.” (Daily Mail)
- Well, true. But at least Becks still looks fabulous. I don’t care what anyone says: with his new Brawny man beard, Mr. Beckham is the hottest he’s ever been.
- Leona Lewis says she was in “horrible shock” after her attack yesterday.(BBC)
- 29-year-old Peter Kopwalczyk has been charged with assailing Lewis and has been sectioned under Britain’s Mental Health Act.(Daily Mail)
- David Tennant + Simon Pegg = cinematic brilliance. (Den of Geek)
- British artist Damien Hirst is officially ovah: see here, here, and here.
- William H. Macy will play the drunken dad role in Showtime’s remake of the British sitcom Shameless.(Hollywood Reporter)
- Sir Ridley Scott will direct a film version of Red Riding, which was made into a UK miniseries earlier this year.(Guardian)
- Jarvis Cocker brought his adorable little doppelgänger to the London premiere of Fantastic Mr. Fox, (Daily Mail)
- Sharon Osbourne is this season’s Joan Rivers on the Celebrity Apprentice, I suppose. Donald Trump‘s cast also includes Cyndi Lauper, Rod Blagojevich, and Bret Michaels.(Daily Mail)
- Jane Eyre‘s Mr. Rochester has been voted the most romantic character in all of literature. By the way, Jane Eyre is on BBC AMERICA’s list of romance novels that became celebrated film adaptations. Click here for the full list.
- X Factor fans are demanding that Cheryl Cole sing LIVE when the Girls Aloud member/X Factor panelist performs her new single on this weekend’s show. “It’s laughable she can sit and judge other people sing live yet doesn’t do it herself,” says a viewer. One Sun reader notes that the reason Cheryl’s famous in the first place is that she sang live on a TV talent show.
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.