Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Don’t be fooled into thinking Thanksgiving is all about the food. Many Americans are just as passionate about the retail […]Read Now
Chef James Briscione‘s career began humbly; he was a football star and dishwasher at a brunch spot in his adolescence. […]Read Now
- Just weeks after the news about Primeval‘s axing, it has been announced that Robin Hood has been cancelled in the UK, meaning that the show’s third season (which will air on BBCA later this year) will be its last. The Guardian reports, “It is understood the BBC decided to end the show…after believing it had run its course after 39 episodes and three series.” Or maybe they just realized how odd it would be to do Robin Hood with no Robin Hood.
- Spoiler alert: John Barrowman intimates that Torchwood may have life after Children of Earth. (Sci Fi Wire)
- By the way, Children of Earth gets a RAVE review from The Stage‘s Mark Wright: “It’s an intelligent sci-fi drama with a good cast and an engaging story that is a million miles away from where this Doctor Who spin-off began.” Link contains spoilers.
- Director David Yates says the new Harry Potter will be about “sex, potions, and rock ‘n’ roll.”(Telegraph)
- Look out, iPlayer: Hulu’s coming to the UK in September.(Variety)
- Gordon Ramsay is in financial freefall.(Telegraph)
- The Beckhams do another Armani ad together, and the big rope makes another cameo appearance.(Daily Mail)
- The Daily Mail details tennis player Andy Murray‘s grueling workout routine, which is paying off in his tautly muscled frame.
- Oscar winner Kate Winslet showed up to watch Murray win his quarterfinal match at Wimbledon.(Mirror)
- Downgrade!: Christian Slater may replace Rupert Penry-Jones in the new Jerry Bruckheimer series, The Forgotten(Hollywood Reporter)
- Heroes star Hayden Panettiere has dumped her Welsh hottie Steve Jones.(Daily Mail)
- Kate Moss outdid Gossip lead singer Beth Ditto at karaoke. “The funniest thing was at the end of the song when it flashed up on the screen who had hit more of the right notes, it turned out Kate had done better than Beth!”(The Sun)
- Lyrics from a Soulja Boy rap song have led to torment for a British family.(MTV)
- New Order frontman Bernard Sumner says his new band Bad Lieutenant‘s album, Never Cry Another Tear, will come out October 5th.(NME)
- Twenty-five years after her first campaign, Twiggy is fronting Olay ads again.(Guardian)
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.