We already enjoy the antics of established bromances between Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart as well as James McAvoy and Michael …Read Now
Is Nigel Lythgoe of ‘So You Think You Can Dance?’ Homophobic?
- British So You Think You Can Dance? judge Nigel Lythgoe, his show’s Simon Cowell, has repeatedly emphasized to his contestants that dancing is a manly pursuit.
But he took it all too far on last night’s season premiere, commenting on a same-sex pair who auditioned together.
Lythgoe said, “I think you’d probably alienate a lot of our audience. We’ve always had the guys dance together on the show but they’ve never really done it in each other’s arms before. I’m really one of those people that like to see guys be guys and girls be girls on stage. I don’t think I liked it, to be frank.”
How hilarious that the guy with the Farrah Fawcett “wings” is saying he wants to see “guys be guys.”
In other news:
- Morrissey has turned 50 today, and The Guardian‘s Len Brown surveys the impact the man has wrought in his quarter-century career. “He has, without doubt, extended the subject matter of popular songs more than any artist of the late 20th and early 21st century. Child murder, working-class poverty, suicide, football hooliganism, mental illness, police corruption, disability, animal cruelty, violence, pedophilia, racism, death, the loss of faith – all have been addressed.”
- Interestingly, according to the number of spins on my iTunes playlist, the song below is my favorite Morrissey track. I’m rather shocked. Great song, though.
- Once again, Duffy may be Bond-bound.(The Sun)
- Amy Winehouse has cancelled another show. For some reason, I don’t see any Bond themes in her future.(NME)
- Former Bond girl Joanna Lumley says no to a run for office, even though she showed such political skill in her campaign for Gurkha residency rights: “I am too old to learn the rules, to talk their (MPs’) talk or walk their walk. I certainly don’t have the stamina any more but it’s an honor to help the Gurkhas in any way I can.”(Daily Mail)
- Get ready for a Jordan/Peter Andre custody battle.(The Sun)
- The husband of Gavin & Stacey‘s Joanna Page is joining the cast of British soap Emmerdale.(The Sun)
- Susan Boyle could make a “surprise” appearance during a West End performance of Les Miz. Well, so much for the surprise.(The Sun)
- After their collaboration “Dance Wiv Me” zoomed to No. 1, Calvin Harris and Dizzee Rascal will reunite for another song, “Holiday.”(Daily Record)
- Terry Gilliam‘s The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus gets a two-star review from The Guardian‘s Peter Bradshaw: “The film’s convoluted curlicues are tiring, insisting too loudly on how ‘imaginative’ everything is.”
- Variety‘s Todd McCarthy rates Heath Ledger‘s final performance in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus: “Tony is not a demanding dramatic role, nor a particularly flamboyant one like the Joker, so this can’t legitimately be described as one Ledger’s most striking performances. Like most of the other actors here, he’s antic and frantic, dirty and sweaty, as the principals flail around trying to cope with their desperate straits.”
HAVE A HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!
ANGLOPHENIA WILL RETURN TUESDAY, MAY 26th.