- So apparently Rob Lowe and The Office star Ricky Gervais were playfully dissing each other during filming of their comedy, This Side of the Truth. In harmless retaliation, Gervais shot a dart gun at Lowe. Lowe says, “I had such fun giving him hell. It was merciless. He had these amazing dart guns. We were running around just for fun and that was the only way he could get me back. He had to resort to physical violence because he couldn’t take me on verbally. Only physically.” Sounds like boys having fun, right? However, check out Contact Music’s super-dramatic headline, “LOWE AND GERVAIS JOKE ENDS IN VIOLENCE”, which makes the whole deal sound like a high-casualty shootout between the Bloods and the Crips.
- Daniel Radcliffe is nominated for a Drama League award for his bits-baring performance in Equus. Too bad he’s competing with 68 fellow nominees in the Distinguished Performance Award category.
- Stephen Daldry, director of The Reader, is still openly gay and still married to a woman.(The Times)
- Marilyn, the Pete Burns-like, gender-bending singer of 1983′s “Calling Your Name”, claims he had an erstwhile affair with Gwen Stefani‘s husband, rocker Gavin Rossdale.(Entertainmentwise)
- Ashes To Ashes star Keeley Hawes says she and the other ladies on-set have a crush on her on-screen partner, Gene Hunt, played by Philip Glenister: “When Philip goes into character and starts shouting his head off, we all go, ‘Ooh!’ Women’s lib [goes] out the window – you want him to come and save you!”(The Sun)
- Not Going Out has been axed by the BBC.(The Stage)
- British cinematographer Jack Cardiff has died at 94. His CV is astonishing; he shot Black Narcissus, The Red Shoes, The Barefoot Contessa, The African Queen, and yes, Conan the Destroyer.(Guardian)
- The Guardian‘s Stephen Brook would cast Meryl Streep in the reported Susan Boyle biopic.
- Check out Susan Boyle‘s sexy new makeovers, the real one and the fake ones.
- The Ian Dury biopic, Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll, will have Andy Serkis heading a cast including Naomie Harris, Ray Winstone, Olivia Williams, Doctor Who‘s Noel Clarke, Toby Jones, The Office‘s Mackenzie Crook, and Bill Milner.(Variety)
- Kerry “I’m On Medication” Katona calls Katie “Jordan” Price a hypocrite for slamming the circus surrounding Jade Goody‘s death: “She’s a shallow, heartless cow. I think everyone saw exactly what she’s like recently when she had a go at Jade for selling her cancer story to the papers, when she did the same thing a few years before when she had a mole removed from her finger. It was hypocrisy.”(The Sun)
- Lily Allen turned up on ABC’s The View to atone for her partying ways.(Daily Mail)
- The Guardian‘s Tim Jonze (no relation to Spike) says The Horrors, The Maccabees, and Jack Peñate have all avoided the dreaded sophomore curse with their follow-up albums.
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
It’s not just the work of Will Shakespeare that makes it across the Atlantic. British dramas, comedies, and high-energy musicals […]Read Now
How much American literature Brits studied in school largely depends on their age. If you’re over forty-five, you may have […]Read Now