The Latest from Mind The Gap
Anyone who has spent time in the United States will understand that the country rightly prides itself on its own […]Read Now
Who doesn’t love food suggestions? No one we’ve ever met. Food can mend heartache, create bonds, and, well, we need […]Read Now
- Remember when Dev Patel (Anwar from Skins) denied he was dating his Slumdog Millionaire co-star Freida Pinto? Well, either he wasn’t being quite honest with us, or love has blossomed in the interim. Either way, photos and videos have turned up in both The Sun and The Daily Telegraph, and they show Patel and Pinto looking pretty cozy in an Israeli restaurant. At one point, they look like they’re about to kiss. Oh me, oh my. So what will be their “Brangelina”/”Bennifer”-type nickname? Devda? Frev?
- In an interview, British actor Danny Dyer (Malcolm from Skins) has a really nasty go at Gavin & Stacey star Mathew Horne: “One of the worst actors I’ve ever seen in my life. He’s just got nothing about him…No substance and no depth. It annoys me a bit that no one’s clocked that…Mat is absolute rubbish.”
- “Susan Boyle has had a makeover. She walked into a beauty parlor in West Lothian a dowdy middle-aged spinster – and came out a slightly more polished middle-aged spinster. “(Telegraph)
- Video: Susan Boyle performing at a wedding party at age 25 in 1986.(Mirror)
- A 10-year-old ballerina could rob Susan Boyle of her Britain’s Got Talent title. What’s Jeff Gillooly up to these days, and how quickly can we fly him to London?(The Times)
- Bring on the Susan Boyle backlash!(The Times)
- This is tasteful: producers are planning an Any Dream Will Do-type talent show to find someone to play Jade Goody in a musical of her life.(Guardian)
- Will Sharon Osbourne appear on the British Dancing with the Stars, which just so happens to air opposite her old show, X Factor?(Telegraph)
- The Daily Telegraph and The Guardian make their BAFTA TV Award predictions. Go June Brown!
- The financial crisis is “hurting” Britain’s biggest music moneymakers.(BBC)
- Prince Harry has been swapping sexy texts with a comely TV host.(The Sun)
- Graham Coxon says he and the other reunited members of Blur are having trouble “looking each other in the eye” while rehearsing.(Guardian)
- Watch former Smiths legend Johnny Marr pierce his Cribs bandmate’s ear.(NME)
- Get ready for the shortest man to ever hold the No. 1 spot on the UK pop chart. (The Sun)
See more posts by Kevin Wicks
Kevin Wicks founded BBCAmerica.com's Anglophenia blog back in 2005 and has been translating British culture for an American audience ever since. While not British himself - he was born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri - he once received inordinate hospitality in London for sharing the name of a dead but beloved EastEnders character. His Anglophilia stems from a high school love of Morrissey, whom he calls his "gateway drug" into British culture.