- Lily Allen got into another scrap with a photographer. Yet Amy Winehouse is the one banned from the States.(Telegraph)
- Prince William paid a touching tribute to his mother at a Child Bereavement Charity event. “Losing a close family member is one of the hardest experiences that anyone can endure.”(The Independent)
- Jade Goody has donned Marilyn Monroe drag in a music video “made for her sons to remind them of her,” reports The Daily Telegraph. The video is viewable at the link.
- Jade Goody‘s illness may help younger women get tested for cervical cancer.(Telegraph)
- Prime Minister Gordon Brown, David Beckham, Kate Winslet, DJ Chris Moyles, and Prince Charles are Britain’s worst public speakers, according to a survey. These people clearly don’t know Kerry Katona exists.
- How did I miss this: Jude Law, drunk and being felt up at a New York bar.(Just Jared)
- A new comic fills in the spaces between the Doctor Who specials.(io9)
- John Barrowman will play a doctor on the 100th episode of My Family.(MSN)
- OK, she’s dancing toward “overexposed”: The Sun is saying Freida Pinto could be the next Bond girl. But they are also claiming that her Slumdog director, Danny Boyle, is tipped to direct the next Bond film, even though he categorically denied it.
- Countdown to a lynching from Matt Drudge and his minions: actor Pete Postlethwaite “compares those who do not accept human-induced global warming with Holocaust deniers.” (Guardian)
- Marianne Faithfull‘s life will get the film treatment. I vote for Samantha Morton to play her – she has both the required chutzpah and the ability to be convincing portraying any age. (BBC)
- Will Ricky Gervais‘ David Brent meet Steve Carell‘s Michael Scott in the final episode of the American Office?(Daily Record)
- The Wire‘s Idris Elba (Stringer) will play Michael Scott’s boss on The Office “starting next week.” (NPR)
- Gordon Ramsay appeared on fellow Scotsman Craig Ferguson‘s show this week. Check out the video.
- A school shooting sketch has been yanked from Horne & Corden after this week’s massacre in Germany.(Chortle)
- A BBC presenter has apologized after comparing his colleague, a man of Sri Lankan descent, to a chimpanzee.(The Times)
- The Daily Telegraph‘s Tim Robey disses the Charles Bronson biopic: “The problem with Bronson – and the movie is certainly a problem – is how hard it wants to be a visceral tour de force, and how stunted this objective ends up feeling.”
- The Daily Mail‘s review is naturally more moralistic, but no less scathing: “Why on earth such a creep should be glorified, I cannot imagine, especially as the film makes no attempt to understand him or derive any lessons from his behavior. It would be churlish to deny that Tom Hardy gives a powerful performance, but it’s necessarily one-dimensional, since Bronson appears to have no redeeming virtues whatsoever.”
- On the band’s site, Radiohead‘s Tom Yorke gets in a little dig at Kanye West and Miley Cyrus before leaving for South America: “Wish us all a safe journey if you still like us and you’re not one of those people I have managed to offend by doing nothing.”(Rolling Stone)
- Pete Doherty‘s Scottish wedgie memories.(Daily Record)
- Stereogum has a free download of Super Furry Animals‘ new track, “Inaugural Trams.”
- The new Maccabees album will come out in May.(NME)
- Swedish pop singer September on Madonna: “She either looks great and sounds awful or looks dreadful and sounds amazing. She doesn’t seem to pull off both together.”(The Sun)
- Is Robbie Williams losing the battle of the bulge again?(The Sun)
- Gavin & Stacey stars Rob Brydon and Ruth Jones will perform alongside Welsh icon Sir Tom Jones on tonight’s Top of the Pops in the UK. They’ll be singing their new Comic Relief single, “Barry Islands in the Stream,” a remake of the Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton hit, “Islands in the Stream.” Brydon says, “I’ve known him for a bit now and he’s a genuinely nice person and very down to earth…I can’t wait for this.”(Daily Record)
Latest in Anglophenia Video SeriesView All Episodes
The Latest from Mind The Gap
Join us on Twitter (@MindTheGap_BBCA) for a #MindTheChat at a special time, Thursday, July 24 at 2-3 pm ET, when […]Read Now