While the news of Downton Abbey coming to an end may still be sinking in, there is something we should all remember: there …Read Now
When Batman Went Batsh**: Christian Bale Loses His Temper
- Christian Bale goes mental – like David O. Russell-level crazy – on the set of Terminator Salvation, and TMZ has the audio. Kind of the makes you re-consider that whole thing with the mother and sister, doesn’t it?
- Slumdog Millionaire and Kate Winslet were snubbed at this year’s Evening Standard British Film Awards: Hunger won Best Film, and Tilda Swinton won Best Actress for playing a kidnapping drunk in the little-seen Julia.(Guardian)
- Still, Danny Boyle won the DGA award for Best Director, an almost sure-fire indicator of Oscar success.(Guardian)
- M. Night Shyamalan has cast Slumdog (and Skins) star Dev Patel in the kid’s film Avatar: The Last Airbender, based on the Nickelodeon series. Singer Jesse McCartney was previously cast in the role but had to drop out due to his music career.(Variety)
- More proof Anwar has finally hit the big time: Dev is snapped by the paparazzi outside the Beverly Hills Hotel. He’s gotta work on his “don’t f*** with me” face, though.(Just Jared)
- The Daily Telegraph goes behind-the-scenes of the BAFTA new talent photoshoot, which features Patel, Dominic Cooper, my girl Hayley Atwell, Doctor Who‘s Noel Clarke, and Jim Sturgess from Across the Universe.
- Deborah Kerr‘s grandson is hot and has the coolest name ever.(The Times)
- Stephen Fry has the second-greatest number of Twitter followers for an individual, behind President Obama.(Telegraph)
- Several dramas about Africa are hitting British TV this year, and great black British actors like Paterson Joseph, Naomie Harris, and Sophie Okonedo are finally in high demand in the UK.(Telegraph)
- Once Emma Watson turned 18, it was open season for the paparazzi. She tells The Daily Mail: “The sickest part was when one photographer lay down on the floor to get a shot up my skirt. The night it was legal for them to do it, they did it. I woke up the next day and felt completely violated by it all. That’s not something I want in my life. I just kept thinking that if it had happened a day earlier people would have sued their a***s off.”
- British fashion designer Vivienne Westwood and Pamela Anderson are unlikely bosom buddies. And they trade books! With words, y’all! They spoke with The Times about their friendship: “[Anderson says], ‘Vivienne has this wildness about her. She does her own thing. But it’s really about her mind. She’s unique. She’s one of my favorite people.’ Westwood returns the compliment and says that Anderson is sexy not just for her body but for her inquisitive mind. ‘Pamela is very intelligent. She is somebody I can talk to. I don’t have to draw her a map. She understands,’ she says.”
- Terry Gilliam will take another stab at adapting Don Quixote, the film he’s been attempting to make for almost 20 years. His first attempt, with Johnny Depp, was a total disaster and the subject of the documentary, Lost in La Mancha.(The Times)
- The Scotsman interviews Russell Tovey, History Boys star and one-time Doctor Who candidate. On Being Human, he plays a werewolf who shares a flat with a vampire and a ghost. Tovey talks about coming out to his parents: “Me and my dad just crossed wires. We have an amazing relationship now and did when I was growing up, but there are underlying things that don’t get covered. When I came out he found it very odd and didn’t know how to cope. I think my parents thought, ‘OK, you’re gay, you’re going to get AIDS,’ and were under the impression that if I’d told them sooner they could have done something about it.”
- The famous Apple building, the place where The Beatles made their rooftop final performance, is up for sales for £25 million. It was built in 1735.(Telegraph)
- Liiy Allen has the No. 1 song in the UK with “The Fear”.
- The Guardian‘s Rosie Swash reviews Lily Allen‘s new album, It’s Not Me, It’s You: “Having made her name as a candid pop lyricist, Allen has spent the past two years in the eye of a paparazzi storm. Well aware that her listeners want the inside scoop on the ex-boyfriends and bleary-eyed photographs, the singer throws in a heap of references to lame relationships, drugs, sex and the perils of fame, but without revealing anything about herself.”